It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Bass topwater flies
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:00 pm • # 1 

Anyone willing to share their favourite too water flies for bass. Will be using a 2wt so size 12 is about as bug as I can go. The bass are aggressive but small. I've had good luck twitching tom thumbs and adult damsels. But looking for other patterns I can try.

Post subject: Re: Bass topwater flies
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:48 pm • # 2 

Betts fancy panfish poppers, my walmart sells a 3 pack for $5+ and change. I believe they are on a 8 or 10 hook. cast them all the time on my 2wt, usually with a # 10 Briminator dropper. Also use a lot of foam bugs. Tie on a deer hair tail, foam strip backwards over the tail, fold it back over to 3/4 up the hook shank or so. Add a deer hair wing, fold the foam back over the wing and secure with a few wraps, trim off the foam just behind the tie in wraps. Add some rubber legs on each side then whip finish and apply head cement. Foam beetles, gsa hoppers. Most of my flies both top water and subsurface for warm water species are tied on #6-14 hooks, all fished with my 2 and 3wts. And usually with a hopper dropper set up, double streamer with indicator. Now that I'm back up in the mountains of VA instead of central Texas, I will have to resort back to some smaller offerings for the trout, but will keep up with the larger for my bass and panfish trips.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:51 pm • # 3 

Muddlers and buck bugs. Tie the muddlers with good sized heads from whitetail body hair and put some floatant on the whole fly. I've had 18" bass hit #12 muddlers, so they should be fine for your needs.
Tie both flies in natural, chartreuse, or whatever colour your local bass like.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:58 pm • # 4 

Thanks for the tips. I wish hopper dropper set ups were legal here. I don't quite follow those instructions a picture would be worth a 1000 words as they say.

I like muddlers but the weeds are so thick id rather just stay on the surface and avoid that headache.

Edit: spelling. **** phones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:06 pm • # 5 

May be a couple of days before I can get to my tying stuff, or my fly boxes for that matter, but I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:20 pm • # 6 

If you tie your muddlers with lots of deer hair, and then Gink 'em, they'll stay on top.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:30 pm • # 7 

I usually use various versions of Gartside Gurglers. YouTube has a number of recipes.

I had a day when a pretty small one, maybe size 12 in green, produced many, many smallmouths. All small as well. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 pm • # 8 

Knotty wrote:
I usually use various versions of Gartside Gurglers. YouTube has a number of recipes.

I had a day when a pretty small one, maybe size 12 in green, produced many, many smallmouths. All small as well. ;)

What he said (with the exception of hooking smallmouths). I use a #10 or 12 in white or black. Calf tail, bucktail, or synthetic hair, and dubbed body. Sometimes, if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll add rubber legs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:08 am • # 9 

Will be hitting the vise with all the ideas. Thanks a ton.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:10 pm • # 10 

Here's my favorite. Been killin' em lately. Mini-size master splinter mouse with a few mods, including doubled foam.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:36 pm • # 11 

TXH2Oman wrote:
Here's my favorite. Been killin' em lately. Mini-size master splinter mouse with a few mods, including doubled foam.

Show off! :P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:19 pm • # 12 

TXH2Oman wrote:

These are incredible. I may just have to copy that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:49 pm • # 13 

FWIW I tie my UL saltwater flies on #4 Gamakatsu SC15s. They are very light and I cast them with my 2 wt. TFO Pro II and my TFO half weight. Try tying some small foam gurglers on them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:54 am • # 14 

hipshot wrote:
FWIW I tie my UL saltwater flies on #4 Gamakatsu SC15s. They are very light and I cast them with my 2 wt. TFO Pro II and my TFO half weight. Try tying some small foam gurglers on them.

I love those SC 15 hooks. I tie most of my clousers, bendback, etc. on them #8-#2. The 2X wide Firehole hooks are great for foam bodies, though!

I'll try to post a SBS for the mini mouse sometime soon. Maybe later today. I'll also have a candy dish of them free for the taking at the Meetup.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:41 pm • # 15 

My old time favorite is the Rat Faced McDougall #8-12 tied with spun yellow deer hair ... bass assume it is a hopper and it is very durable.... My version of a mini bass bug for UL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q29WARrGjw

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply