It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4   Page 4 of 4   [ 78 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 am • # 61 

You have to Aaron; I really need to cast that new Barclay rod. Or, if you can't get away, just ship the rod to me for a trial run. I'll get it back to you.....eventually. ;)

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:45 pm • # 62 

Am thinking of coming down for Saturday and Sunday, have no vacation days left. Really interested in fishing those streams and meeting you all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 pm • # 63 

Likewise, Lincecaster; looking forward to it.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:50 pm • # 64 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
I decided to start a new thread on this subject, as the title of the previous thread was somewhat ambiguous and somebody might pass it by, not noticing it concerns another outing.

I am trying to organize an outing of people from this forum and the fiberglass forum to meet in the Hill Country. We have a group from the glass board that gets together at least once, sometimes twice, per year to go fishing together. I had a great time at the Georgetown outing and would like to combine the two groups this next time.

I have proposed four potential sites for the gathering, and they are as follows. I will try to give some reasons for each choice.

Mason city park - My glass group met there over two years ago. All of the tent campers are located together in one area. There are quite a few RV sites for those who wish to bring one. Good facilities are available and the camp hosts are remarkably hospitable and accomodating. Several good access points to the Llano are close by; it is about 40 minutes from South Llano River State Park, and about 40 minutes from the San Saba. Also about an hour and half from the Nueces, Frio, and Sabinal Rivers.

South Llano River State Park - Located on the South Llano and within 20 miles or so of several other crossings of the Llano. About 40 minutes from the San Saba. About an hour to an hour and a half from the Nueces, Frio, or Sabinal Rivers. Has plenty of campsites, but campers may be somewhat scattered.

Garner State Park - Located on the Frio River. Supposedly one of the most popular parks in Texas, so likely to be crowded. From many of the pictures I have seen of the park it is a very popular river for tubers and other watercraft, downright crowded at times. Does offer some screened shelters that will accomodate up to eight people, thus negating the need to bring a tent. The Frio lies closely between the Nueces and Sabinal Rivers.

Lost Maples State Natural Area - another popular park area. Located on the Sabinal River. Close by the Frio and Nueces.

What I would like at this time is to find out who is definitely interested in attending. Which weekend would be your preference. Which site would be your preference. Being interested, of course, is not a commitment.

I know this outing is still a long way off, but I would like to get the planning out of the way in plenty of time.

Larry

P.S. - I had to re-edit this post to fit in a couple of people that couldn't meet on those originally specified dates. I finally decided to just go ahead and set a date as there were too many variables to deal with in choosing from three dates and four sites.

THE DATE SET FOR THIS OUTING IS MAY 18-20, 2018.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm • # 65 

Tinneyman:
Are you trying to get some information concerning this gathering?

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:23 pm • # 66 

[quote="Canoeman1947"]Tinneyman:
Are you trying to get some information concerning this gathering
Sounds awesome, and I’d love to go and learn more, just keep me posted

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:28 pm • # 67 

Sounds awesome and worth the drive, I’ll keep my eyes open for the where’s and what nots

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:45 pm • # 68 

Tinneyman,
I'll save you some dredging down through all the posts concerning this gathering. The dates are as listed in the header: May 18-20, 2018. Some of us are coming in early on the 15th in order to have additional fishing time. The location of the meeting site is the Mason City Park in Mason, TX at 1015 San Antonio Highway, which I believe is also Highway 87. The park offers both tent and RV camping. Some are bringing RV's and some will be tent camping. At least a couple of people are checking into hotels in town. I know two who are staying at the Fort McKavitt Inn. If you plan to camp, call 325-347-2064 for reservations. They may not answer the phone when you call, so leave a message where you can be reached. If you receive a call, and your caller ID shows WEST CENTRAL WI, answer it because they are returning your call. Apparently the camp hosts used to live in Wisconsin. There is no payment in advance; you pay on arrival. They take cash or credit cards, but there will be about a 2.5% surcharge for use of credit card. The park is very clean, offers showers and laundry facilities. Hope you can make it.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:46 am • # 69 

This event continues to grow. I have been counting names, and we may be up to about 25 people attending so far. Aaron and I are members of both forums, so I will not count us twice. So far we have 12 glass board members, plus a grandson, a girlfriend, and a brother-in-law. I have even had some strong interest from a couple of people on the Texas Fishing Forum. People who are planning to attend from this forum are:

Canoeman1947 (and hopefully my 15 year old grandson)
hipshot (and probably his buddy Jay and a couple of other guys)
Rainmaker
TXH2Oman (and his buddy Jess)
linecaster
Tinneyman (has expressed strong interest)
Jeff Jackson of TFO
I'm sure there will be some changes before May 18, but it appears so far to be shaping up to a pretty good gathering.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:10 am • # 70 

This outing has grown past all expectations as far as numbers of people. I have purposefully kept this gathering very loosely organized. There are no planned events. The idea is just to get a bunch of people together that may have never met before so that we can put faces with names, do some fishing, lie about fishing, perhaps buy/sell/swap rods/reels, lie about fishing some more, etc. There are a few of us that are members of both the glass and ultralight boards, but for the rest there can be some learning experiences. There are about 7 or 8 people coming in early in the week, but most of the people are expected to arrive on Friday or Saturday. We early arrivals will be able to fish just about anywhere we choose, but once the rest of the people arrive, we will probably have to spread out in small groups or pairings to avoid overcrowding any one area. I have developed some pretty good friendships from past outings and hope to make a few new friends from this outing. I know that in this group, there will be varied levels of experience, and some of the attendees may be fairly new to flyfishing, and those of us that have more experience can hopefully offer some friendly and useful advice. I am really looking forward to May.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:14 pm • # 71 

I am still looking forward to this gathering, but my joy may be slightly diminished. I had asked my 15 year old grandson to come along, and he thought that was a great idea. He even asked if one of his friends could also come along, so he would have somebody to hang out with besides a bunch of old farts. I spoke with his friend's father a couple of days ago and he thought the trip sounded like a great opportunity for his son. Now comes the likely deal breaker. In case you haven't been keeping up with the news, most of the school teachers in Oklahoma have been out on strike for the past week. My oldest daughter has spent most of the past week protesting the lack of school funding at the state Capitol in Oklahoma City. With many of the state's schools shut down over the past week, they will most likely have to make up for the lost time, by adding the time on to the end of the school term. My grandson's school term was scheduled to end on May 11, and we were heading for Mason just four days later. Now he will likely be in school while we are enjoying the fishing. What a bummer. I am happy that both of my daughters will be getting raises and that the schools will finally receive some much needed funding, but I'm going to miss having the boys along on this trip. Well, I guess I had better get busy setting up another camping/fishing trip for them after school is out.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:44 pm • # 72 

I spoke too soon. I looked up the policy regarding making up time after school shutdowns. Each school in the state has several "snow days" on the schedule, and my daughter told me they have not used up all their days, so my grandson will get out of school in time to still make the trip with us.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 pm • # 73 

I'm in countdown mode, just 24 days 'til I get to Mason. Need to get busy tying some more flies, cleaning reels and lines, organizing fly boxes, etc. Of course I also have to squeeze in some time to clean out my garage.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 pm • # 74 

Once again a change in plans. My grandson just got his spring football schedule, and he has practice the week of the trip. He doesn't feel he can afford to miss it. Also my buddy Kurt called this afternoon, and said the tires on his pickup are pretty worn. His truck also has a lot of miles on it. Since it is now just the two of us, we will just bring my truck, leave the camper at home, and bring a tent. Hopefully no more changes. But I still need to clean out my garage. Hope I have enough energy left for fishing.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:57 pm • # 75 

Although my grandson backed out of the trip, I may have talked my friend Charlie into accompanying us. Like most of us who have reached the latter stage of life, Charlie's energy levels and mobility have decreased over the last few years, as have mine. I told him to keep his schedule clear, as at our age, thinking we might go next year is not always a good plan. "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may", as the old saying goes. Just two more weeks; I'm all stocked up on flies and raring to go.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:02 am • # 76 

My fly boxes are full to overflowing; my lines have been cleaned and greased. Just five more days and I hit the road to Mason. Still need to finish cleaning out my garage, but my motto is "any job worth doing will still be worth doing in a week or so".

Larry

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:24 pm • # 77 

Larry, thank you for organizing the Get together which I hope will be a tremendous success. This is something I was really looking forward to, seeing a bunch of like minded folks and fishing a pristine river and all that goes with it. Unfortunately due to my wife's ongoing battle with cancer I am going to have to pull out as I do not feel right leaving her at home. It would have been nice to bring her along but it is too painful for her to travel. Wishing you all a fun time which is sure to happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:00 pm • # 78 

linecaster,
Sorry you can't make it. Look after your wife. My wife and I have both had our brush with cancer. She, in particular, was hit pretty hard by the radiation therapy.

Larry

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4   Page 4 of 4   [ 78 posts ] New Topic Add Reply