It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 pm • # 1 

Anybody have any good skating patterns for trout? I was thinking do a little smaller version of steelhead skaters

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 pm • # 2 

I usually skate elk hair caddis for trout. With a downstream mend to speed the fly up. Allowing it to do a full swing. I also use emerger patterns. That being said. I still hook up more dead drifting dries then skating them for trout.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:28 pm • # 3 

Same here with the caddis patterns. But you can also make other 'conventional' dubbed body mayfly patterns skate better by palmering some dryfly hackle through the dubbed body. Doesn't look quite right, but it works. I use a hackle about two sizes smaller than the forward hackle for the palmering. So, on a #14 dry, I use a #16 or #18 hackle. I don't worry too much about colour; either a white/dun or a grizzly. And use as stiff hackle fibers as you can get for the tail.
brent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:15 pm • # 4 

How do you "skate" dry flies and not have them sink? A couple of pointers would be greatly appreciated. Adios Philip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:08 pm • # 5 

Lots of floatant, light leader, long rod (high sticking), across current or down current, and if you've lived your life right, a breeze will do the rest.
Len Wright wrote a book in 1972 called (I think) Fishing the dry fly as a living insect. He talks a lot about the 'fluttering Caddis', and how to fish it.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:38 pm • # 6 

This is a great topic.
And on Monday I took some film of the idea....
https://youtu.be/NvTvhAiwJaY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:23 pm • # 7 

The ultimate trout skaters used to be traditional 'spider' patterns . Tied on a light wire up-eyed hook with just a 2-3x oversize, very stiff sparse contrasting hackles at mid shank and sometimes over a gold tinsel body. Fished on a long, very light tippet, they dance on the hackle tips, leaving subtle wakes that often bring slashing strikes from big trout.

Stimulators, Wulffs, and Humpies with foam bodies also should work. And try down-sized versions of the deer hair sculpins the PNW steelheaders use.

DDB

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply