It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Streamers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:03 pm • # 1 

Looking for some impute on some streamers to use on my 3wt.

So let me hear which streamers might work nicely. I just don't wish to overload the rod with a to heavey or to big streamer.

Post subject: Re: Streamers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:30 pm • # 2 

Clousers are good all around streamer, endless materials and colors to choose from. Start with small to medium eyes and no larger than size 6 or 4 hook. I throw size 2 clousers with big eyes with my 2wt all the time but, it took me a while to get the casting right.

What species will you be targeting?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:19 pm • # 3 

Ditto on the question of species.
I've had great luck with a #10 or #12 light spruce fly tied on a 4xlong hook. You can also tie them on #14 too. Just substitute white calf tail for the wing instead of the normal hen hackle.
And if we can consider a muddler minnow a streamer, well, there's not much that won't take a muddler.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:45 pm • # 4 

roblepl wrote:
Clousers are good all around streamer, endless materials and colors to choose from. Start with small to medium eyes and no larger than size 6 or 4 hook. I throw size 2 clousers with big eyes with my 2wt all the time but, it took me a while to get the casting right.

What species will you be targeting?

Trout in western Nc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:43 am • # 5 

Then disregard what I said. I know nothing about trout as we don't have them here in Puerto Rico.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 am • # 6 

"trout": Ah, then I'll stick with the spruce fly and muddler. They work on brookies, rainbows, cutthroats and browns. So do black and olive wooly buggers, esp with a few wraps of lead wire just back of the eye and under the chenille to get them to dip and dive.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:42 am • # 7 

My number one streamer fly here on the Guadalupe River in Texas has been the a fly that I discovered while fishing up in the White Mountains, New Hampshire many years ago, since then, I have caught numerous trout, bass, pan fish all over New England with it....called Bruce's Old Standby ( B.O.S.) from Dan's Fly shop... it is a unique mini muddler streamer style that also has caught lots fish for me all over Germany, Luxembourg, Czech Republic and France... (Brown Trout crush this fly) I have tied different color variations with some luck, but the color pattern attachment below is an absolute "killer" it resembles so many food sources, i. e. minnow, grasshopper, cricket, catalpa worm...sometimes I put a little lead to get it down in the water column ... I fish with a TFO BVK 3wt tie it up in size #12 and it cast's effortlessly; tie some up and give it a try... tight lines

http://dansflyshop.net/content/bruces-old-standby-bos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:08 pm • # 8 

good looking pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:01 am • # 9 

Gillbuster: what a neat little fly! Oddly enough, I've been tying muddlers with the same colour themes for some time now, in those same sizes. I use a natural deer hair head/collar, gold tinsel body, mottled turkey for tail, yellow calftail underwing, teal flank overwing and red throat hackle. Different materials and order, but same overall impression, I'm guessing.
(I believe this is called 'convergent evolution').
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 pm • # 10 

Sounds like a great pattern you developed, wheezeburnt... Have you had much success with your mini Muddler? Post a picture of it, if you can?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:32 pm • # 11 

Another neat muddler fly pattern style that Larry Dahlberg turned me on to, I had the pleasure to met him at the Bears Den Fly Fishing show in Taunton, Mass. several years ago... he demonstrated his version of a muddler called the "Flash Dancer." He primarily used it for smallmouth, but encouraged to downsized it to #10-12 for crappie, perch, white bass and bluegills....On cloudy days, this fly has a lot of movement and is very productive... I've caught fish from carp to catfish on this fly, I have broke my fly leader numerous times on hard strikes without knowing what kind of fish hit it... I fish it with a few wraps of lead on floating line to get 1-2' down and also unweighted with a touch of floatant on it with sinking fly line to fish just above the weeds... the Rio Grande Childid really like this fly

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns3.asp?page=27

Tight lines
Gillbuster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:53 am • # 12 

Gillbuster: how great to meet Mr. Dahlberg! I've got a couple of his Divers in my bass box. And I like that flashy muddler.
Yes, I've had some good luck with my modified muddler. Brookies to about 19", smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, fallfish, and sunfish. The yellow and red highlights kind of give it a 'grasshopper' look in late summer, I think, and the bass often hit it just after it lands and is resting on the surface. I haven't posted photos here since Photobucket got a little crazy. I guess I better figure something else out.
brent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:29 am • # 13 

Yes, I agree with you on Photobucket, I have numerous pictures loaded from the past that I can't get to anymore,, frustrating

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:21 pm • # 14 

I tied up a few of the BOS flies......bass magnet at the spillway on caddo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:32 pm • # 15 

Here is another hot fly for me for the last 12-15 years, believe it has been previously mentioned on the forum, Dick Empie's "Goldie".... Many years ago, I took a 8 week fresh water tying class with Dick at the Bears Den Fly Shop. (Dick was one of the regular tiers/teachers/guides for the shop) Dick had developed this little known fly for trout fishing for Cape Cod trout ponds (lots of herring fry in the Cape Cod ponds) ... he invited the class members to trout fish one early morning to try out the some of the flies we tied in class the previous weeks, We tied many of the classics, black ghost, professor, Prince Nymph, Hares Ear, etc. During the morning, we each caught 1-2 fish apiece, really fishing hard... Dick, on the other hand was slaying them... a dozen or more to hand, plus lost a several more... walking back to the car packing up, we asked what fly he was using... he showed us the "Goldie" He had been experimenting with it for a number of years to perfect it... He got a lot of heat from the old time "purist" at his fly fishing club, not being hair, feather or herl... to make a long story short, he showed us how to tie it on our next class; gave us the new salt water material to tie it with: Bill's Bodie Braid, which was not well known at the time.. I tied several of them and from then on had tremendous success with it, …. Trout, Crappie, Perch, panfish, Smallmouth and LMB tore this little fly up... I called him after going on a trip to Penobscot River in Maine, where I had my best ever fly fishing weekend catching over 75-100 smallmouth on this fly, sadly Mr. Empie passed away several years later...Rainy Flies, soon after sponsored him on this fly and you can find them at Bass Pro Shop in New England and other fly shops... I tie them in #10-14 for the Guadalupe River with my UL outfit and have a lot of success with it... there are several similar patterns out there....fish are attracted to gold, period and this fly has a lot of action with results... All I can say is, thank you Dick for all the fish caught and enjoyment...

https://www.bearsden.com/product7241.html

http://www.rainysflies.com/fly-designer ... ngNumber=6

http://nebula.wsimg.com/f9fb5f6368a6336 ... oworigin=1

Tightlines,
Gillbuster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:42 pm • # 16 

gillbuster wrote:
Here is another hot fly for me for the last 12-15 years, believe it has been previously mentioned on the forum, Dick Empie's "Goldie"...

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention -- looks really promising and I just ordered some of the braid material to try it out. When you tie it on smaller hooks, do you make any adjustments in the way you tie it? Seems it could be bulky with all those braid loops.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:20 am • # 17 

Ika,
Not really... I adjust the length of the gold braid accordingly, usually 3 strands for the tail and 4-5 for the neck of the fly, sometimes I use different color beads, mostly black beads to simulate eyes... You'll have to experiment after you tie them to see how you like the action in the water.. but let me tell you... Goldie's catch fish

Last edited by gillbuster on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:59 am • # 18 

Outstanding thread, thanks to all who shared their favorites, and the pictures too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:28 pm • # 19 

There are some more patterns in this thread I found elegant and effective:
http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=11423

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply