It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Okay so I'm cheap
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:28 pm • # 1 

With that being said I may just want to try tying a fly or two . So with my cheapness in mind what will do the job of getting me into this habit , uhh hobby ? Can I get by with a kit off of ebay with a AA Vice ? I see kits of all prices but would really like to stay cheap until I decide I if I really want to do this .

TIA
Ron

Post subject: Re: Okay so I'm cheap
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:35 pm • # 2 

jangles wrote:
With that being said I may just want to try tying a fly or two . So with my cheapness in mind what will do the job of getting me into this habit , uhh hobby ? Can I get by with a kit off of ebay with a AA Vice ? I see kits of all prices but would really like to stay cheap until I decide I if I really want to do this .

TIA
Ron

Ron this game ends up not so cheap. Having said that tying fly's is both satisfying and frustrating. However it is nice and relaxing similar to fishing where your mind is in relax mode. The upshot is the first fish you catch on your own tied fly. I started real cheap because there was nothing available for me no vice so used a vice grip pliers, made hackle pliers out of welding rods, used ordinary sewing cotton for thread so you have nothing to worry about. There are tons of options go cheap and see if you like it, plenty of videos for learning. I learnt from a fly tying book pictures with techniques and step by step for dry fly, wet fly and streamers. I still have it. I was living in the middle of Africa without handy resources. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 am • # 3 

I started off with a Skykomish Sunrise AA. Those vices are fine to start out with. Over time, they'll lose their grip, though. Then again, that might be attributed to me...

These are decent kits. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Fly-T ... rk:10:pf:0

You can get away with cheap, for some time. But, like everything else related to fishing...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:03 pm • # 4 

strummer wrote:
I started off with a Skykomish Sunrise AA. Those vices are fine to start out with. Over time, they'll lose their grip, though. Then again, that might be attributed to me...

These are decent kits. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Fly-T ... rk:10:pf:0

You can get away with cheap, for some time. But, like everything else related to fishing...

How does this vise tighten down on the hook ? A friend of mine says it can and will break hooks but I think he's full of it . I have limited myself to one hundred dollars to get a complete kit . What do you guys think I should get ? TIA as always .
Ron

PS : I didnt get to San Juan as the dog ate my lower partial so I am camped at Mittry Lake in Yuma ,az getting new teeth in Mexico !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:53 pm • # 5 

It aint gonna break the hooks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:15 am • # 6 

You are wise to start slowly and cheaply. Six of my fly fishing buddies have taken the fly tying course and bought all the tools and some materials at one point. Only one of them continues to tie after the first year or so. There is no harm in trying out an activity to determine if you like it or not, and fly tying is one of those rare activities in which lower priced tools will not ruin the experience for you.
Most everyone around here starts with an AA or Sunrise style vise. Its what the fish and game club recommends for their fly tying courses. Only one of my buddies went out and bought an expensive vise to learn on (his approach to most things), and that vise, plus all his tools and materials are now part of my inventory.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:21 am • # 7 

Definitely buy cheap to test the waters, you may not like it, get frustrated, give it to Goodwill later on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:04 pm • # 8 

Nothing wrong with waiting for a sale at BP on their kits.......but keep an eye on ebay and thrift stores in your area......maybe someone on the forum has an extra they might part with at a bargain. I gave my starter set away after I bought my "fancy"one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 pm • # 9 

I've been looking for something with a base mount and starter supplies but so far have only found the Scientific anglers kit w/o a base mount . I could probably whip one up at home as I have welder , torch , grinders etc . How does this one look for the money ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scientific-Ang ... :rk:4:pf:0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 pm • # 10 

The tools alone will set you back over $45, so I'd say with the materials and threads thrown in, and the fact that you don't need to shop around for the individual tools, its a good deal. Base mount vises tend to be a little more expensive than the clamp on ones. Nothing wrong with them. I still use a (more expensive) clamp on after 30 years of tying, and as far as I can see, the fish can't tell the difference.
brent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:20 pm • # 11 

wheezeburnt wrote:
The tools alone will set you back over $45, so I'd say with the materials and threads thrown in, and the fact that you don't need to shop around for the individual tools, its a good deal. Base mount vises tend to be a little more expensive than the clamp on ones. Nothing wrong with them. I still use a (more expensive) clamp on after 30 years of tying, and as far as I can see, the fish can't tell the difference.
brent

Okay thanks . I just bought it and it will be here sortly .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 pm • # 12 

That looks like a pretty good deal! I might be overlooking it, but it doesn't look like it comes with a whip finisher. I'd suggest ordering a rotary one. They aren't all that expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:59 pm • # 13 

Ah, the whip finisher! A great source of discussion with my fly tying buddy. He's a production tier, and has a side business of selling presentation-quality classic feather wing atlantic salmon flies in frames. He's never used a whip finisher; just uses his hand. Claims they are the devil's work. I, on the other hand, learned to tie mostly from him, and yet I have whip finishers in three different sizes, which I use faithfully. Granted, my sausage-fingered friend ties nothing smaller than a #10, but still, his heads are smooth and tapered.
I CAN tie off a fly with a hand whip finish (down to about an 18), but yeah, that is one handy tool.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:02 pm • # 14 

Just tie double overhand knot at the end of it going to use head cement anyway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:23 pm • # 15 

Although I probably have enough tying materials to tie flies for the next 10 years, I probably don't tie more than 20 flies per year. I do have a whip finisher, but use it so seldom I can never remember how it works, so I usually end up whip finishing by hand. At least I finally stopped buying more materials.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:26 pm • # 16 

Okay , I just bought a whip finisher . Rotary 4 1/2 " for 6.50 .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:47 am • # 17 

And the dog's looking pretty good these days!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:40 am • # 18 

strummer wrote:
And the dog's looking pretty good these days!

:lol :lol :lol (that's not the orifice I thought they'd show up in!)
brent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 am • # 19 

Ha ha . I have the new ones under lock and key ! :lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:46 pm • # 20 

Just an update on my fly tying experience . I tried to tie one jig and I said F this / crap . :lol I'm happily buying my flies off the auction site for 6.99 a dozen . Man I love that site !

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply