It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




  Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:22 pm • # 1 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 12/29/12
Posts: 1343
Location: Rusagonis, New Brunswick, Canada
I have a bunch of sneaky petes and poppers of various sizes that are all about 20 years old, and the rubber legs are chewed, broken or missing, and all of the legs are brittle and mis-shapen. I have lots of leg material, but I'm not sure if I can replace the rubber legs easily. Anyone ever take this on?
brent


Top
  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am • # 2 
User avatar
Newbie

Joined: 11/18/17
Posts: 10
Location: South Texas
Unless the cork body has become brittle and crumbles, it should not be too much of a trick to drill out the old leg with a micro drill bit (maybe size #65 ), thread in a loop of monofiliment or a sewing needle and pull through a new leg and secure the mess with a spot of acc (super glue).


Top
  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:25 am • # 3 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 12/29/12
Posts: 1343
Location: Rusagonis, New Brunswick, Canada
That does sound like the way to go. Thanks. Any idea how the rubber legs react to cyanoacrylates in super glue? I guess a small experiment is in order.


Top
  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 am • # 4 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 07/10/09
Posts: 1503
Location: Richardson Texas
I have found that super glue will distort the legs if it gets onto the exposed portion. If the hole is a tight fit glue should not be necessary. My tuppence worth..


Top
  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:11 am • # 5 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 12/29/12
Posts: 1343
Location: Rusagonis, New Brunswick, Canada
Good to know, Linecaster. I started my experiment this morning by drilling out the holes in a dozen old balsa poppers with a tiny drill bit. So if it turns out the holes are too big, I'll just add in another leg. Any thoughts on head cement as an adjunct adhesive?


Top
  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:02 pm • # 6 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 07/10/09
Posts: 1503
Location: Richardson Texas
Lately I have been using UV gel for my flies gives a better finish and does not have an odor.


Top
  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:36 pm • # 7 
User avatar
Hero Member

Joined: 12/29/12
Posts: 1343
Location: Rusagonis, New Brunswick, Canada
I attacked the leg-replacement project this afternoon, and it went very well. Used a very fine drill bit to clear out the holes, used my fine-wire bobbin threader to pull the legs through, and sealed them in place with head cement, then trimmed to length.
It was a great opportunity to replace the old square white legs with various other legs like 'grizzly' banded white or green legs or just plain emerald green legs. Even did a couple of little black poppers with chocolate brown legs.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Now I just have to wait three months for the ice to turn back to water, and another two months for it to warm up enough to get us past the spawning season and to trigger some topwater action. If it weren't for all the people, I'd be danged tempted to move south.
brent


Top
  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

  Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

- OurBoard Support -