It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:22 pm • # 1 

I have a bunch of sneaky petes and poppers of various sizes that are all about 20 years old, and the rubber legs are chewed, broken or missing, and all of the legs are brittle and mis-shapen. I have lots of leg material, but I'm not sure if I can replace the rubber legs easily. Anyone ever take this on?
brent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am • # 2 

Unless the cork body has become brittle and crumbles, it should not be too much of a trick to drill out the old leg with a micro drill bit (maybe size #65 ), thread in a loop of monofiliment or a sewing needle and pull through a new leg and secure the mess with a spot of acc (super glue).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:25 am • # 3 

That does sound like the way to go. Thanks. Any idea how the rubber legs react to cyanoacrylates in super glue? I guess a small experiment is in order.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 am • # 4 

I have found that super glue will distort the legs if it gets onto the exposed portion. If the hole is a tight fit glue should not be necessary. My tuppence worth..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:11 am • # 5 

Good to know, Linecaster. I started my experiment this morning by drilling out the holes in a dozen old balsa poppers with a tiny drill bit. So if it turns out the holes are too big, I'll just add in another leg. Any thoughts on head cement as an adjunct adhesive?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:02 pm • # 6 

Lately I have been using UV gel for my flies gives a better finish and does not have an odor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:36 pm • # 7 

I attacked the leg-replacement project this afternoon, and it went very well. Used a very fine drill bit to clear out the holes, used my fine-wire bobbin threader to pull the legs through, and sealed them in place with head cement, then trimmed to length.
It was a great opportunity to replace the old square white legs with various other legs like 'grizzly' banded white or green legs or just plain emerald green legs. Even did a couple of little black poppers with chocolate brown legs.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Now I just have to wait three months for the ice to turn back to water, and another two months for it to warm up enough to get us past the spawning season and to trigger some topwater action. If it weren't for all the people, I'd be danged tempted to move south.
brent

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply