It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mini Buggers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:28 pm • # 21 

Know what that Crystel bugger is neat. IM getting older and don't tie down to 18 anymore, eyes just cant take it, however I would love to see some of the cystel buggers down in the range of 24 or smaller, likewise some of Bulldogs cats wiskers, Im betting they would be the ultimate wet fly for winter ultra light fishing for me. I just can't see that fly tumbling by a trouts nose unmolested even in cold winter water.
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:47 pm • # 22 

I've been tying mini's for a couple of years. I was fishing over in Arkansas and met a gentleman catching fish on every cast while the rest of us were struggling to catch a few. This fine gentleman was kind enough to share a few of his personal hand tied flies with me and I too was catching fish one after the other. I had a limited amount of tying materials with me so I did what anyone would do....improvised. I had very little hackle with me so to make it go as far as possible, I started tying just a collar instead of a full body hackle. I fished the next 2 day with my improvised flies and my catch rate stayed the same. On my next few trips to other places, I continued using the collar only buggers and saw no change in the catch rate compared to the full hackle version. I now just tie the collar only version.

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:46 pm • # 23 

I fish a small creek where the small wild bows attack the crystal bugger.

Have done some in white to a size 18 but never smaller, as the crystal chenille I can easily get will not permit. Will try a dubbed body with the collar approach as mentioned. Bet I can get away with a fairly traditional looking small bugger in an 18 or 20.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:05 pm • # 24 
Global Moderator

now thats a pretty fish. Good job!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:06 am • # 25 

Forget the fish, I like that fly!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:38 am • # 26 

Hi Houzehead,
Well the little bit of crysal flash, the beadhead and longer tail all seem to be the key in the fly. Ive used much bigger versions in the 8-14 sizes in early spring and they are sure fire killers up river in the high country. How small can you make the one in your picture, it sure looks deadly. I think a small version of Bulldogs cats wisker would be good too, wonder how small you could make one? Ive used quite a few small versions of the more classic (no flash, beadhead or long tail either) woollybuggers but they dont work nearly as good as the ones like yours with or without the beadhead even though they are much bigger than the tiny ones. At least on warry winter trout anyway. The little ones seem to work good anytime the crappie bite is on though.
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:35 pm • # 27 

Here are a few in similar to the crystal bugger in a size 18, only with a peacock body instead of the crystal chenille. Looks like they will catch to me. Just a nice bugger profile at a smaller size. Hoping to get out in the next week or so to give these a shot.

Hook: 4x long size 18
Thread: Black, Gold bead optional.

Hackle: Grizzly
Body: Peacock
Rib: silver extra small uni-wire
Tail: Natural grey hare body fur

For warm water, I think you can't beat black or brown. Here are some size 12 Brown rubber leg buggers with and without beadheads that I never have enough of. I do the legs differently for trout, but this configuration works well and is fast for bream and bass flies.

How about a mini bugger swap after the holidays?

HH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:48 pm • # 28 
Administrator

I like it. I think we need to start with say 8 tyers and see if we can make.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:56 pm • # 29 

Hmm...swaps...I like swaps...

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply