It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 55 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:48 pm • # 1 
Administrator

By Richard's account this will be small flies for warm-water species. It will encompass the month of march -in time for the spring thaw in some places. There will be 11 tyers and although there are no size limitations on hook size -keep in mind we'll be tossing these on 3wt and under. Same drill on self-addressed return envelopes.
1) Richard-flyfishing4goldentrout-
2) Les-keebranch- Micro clouser
3)Lou- caddis4-
4)swalker9513
5)Corey-HouzeHead- Nymph
6)UbanAngle-puny popper
7) dpenrod-chili pepper
8) UrbanAngle-second set of puny poppers
9)Jeff-Wabash1967 -TBD
10)
11)
12) extras for the site

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:15 am • # 2 

I'd like to get in on this one...will pick a pattern by next week.
Thanks,
Lou
Added: Decided to tie the "Alexandra - Lady of the Lake" in size 12. Not much bulk to this fly...should be ok with a 3wt line.

Last edited by caddis4 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:32 am • # 3 

I'm in. Hadn't decided on what to tie. Probably a pseudo guadalupe green.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:25 pm • # 4 

Hi guys, only requirements are that the flys be for warmwater this time, panfish and smb are the targets, UL gear in the 3wt and under. Anything from small poppers and worms to wets and drys, anything goes.
12th set to help support the forum.
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:45 am • # 5 

I'm in.

Will do some sort of nymph for panfish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 pm • # 6 

Les, Richard, I have to bow out. Our daughter could be born any time...our son was early, so no chances here. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:30 pm • # 7 

Whats the "dead line" for these?
I put the vise away until I finish a few rods I just got. Image
Im in if time allows.
Im thinking. Puny Poppers. What Size??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:49 pm • # 8 

Well would like to receieve the flys in the mail to me by the end of March, size is open as is style, keeping in mind its a warm water panfish and smaller bass swap for ultra light rods (3wt and under), puny Poppers are awsome, if it fits your schedule your most welcome,
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:58 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Mine are ready.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:03 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Folks, we need 5 more tyer's for this swap.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:05 am • # 11 

well, I usually get in on all the swaps but I'm trying to catch up so I can go fishing-p-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:00 pm • # 12 

Hi Guys was out fishing the lake just two miles from home today the Crappie are out and hungry, also the crickets are everywhere, so thats gonna be my fly for the swap, the size 12 Letort Cricket. Im tying them tonight so I can fish them tomorrow. Its been a little windy today so I took my almost Ultra light, a vintage Harnell 6ft 6in 1800, its a true 5wt. I had it lined with a 3M L5F, one of flygoddess's tapered furrled braided floating leaders and a hand knotted to 2# tippet. Leader and tippet added 10ft to the line and sort of make up the shooting head lead section. Worked great, even in moderate winds it was easy run it out to the backing with two or three false casts. Although not necessary, just wanted to see how well a new L5F would work on this rod set up for some Bass fishing a bit later in the month. I was using some size 12 Dave's hoppers today, the hoppers are out too, as well some small poppers, the Crappie were out in forse but no Bass today. The little harnell balanced well with an OC 76 and looked right at home in its 60s vintage atire. Got quite a few looks from the guys when I showed up with that little black rod with the red and yellow wraps. Harnells have been like Lee Wulff rods, their distintive blank color and wraps always seem to attract people. I might add quite a few guys will be heading some 77 miles over the pass roads to Bakersfield to find some low cost Level Lines too. I think folks forgot just how effective they are for pan fishing and bass fishng along the banks of a lake.
Anyway my fly will be the size 12 Letort Cricket.
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:59 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Cool- I look forward to seeing the Letort Cricket. And by the way my flies shipped yesterday.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:57 pm • # 14 

Hi Les, Flys arrived safe and sound.
Ok guys we are fast approching April. Lets try and get things ready to mail, ship them to me,
Richard Peters
POBox 3913
Wofford Heights Calif, 93285

If we dont get 11 tyers, I will return the excess flys to each tyer with his set of the swap. Package your flys in a shipping envelope or small box, I use the USPS small white boxes, address them to myself the wrap the box in brown paper and address it to the swapmaster, including $2 for return postage. Put toe tags on your flys, with your yuku handle and the name of the fly, so that each swaper will know who's flys they are looking at.

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:15 pm • # 15 

just finished up some #14 chili peppers i'll add to the swap. mediocre quality warning, but they will catch fish. i'll get them packaged up and shipped on monday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:12 am • # 16 

Mine are done and will ship out on Monday for the left coast.
Due to the apparent lack of participation I doubled down and tied two colors. Will be shipping 24 Puny Pops.
If it is not allowed or otherwise frowned upon to enter twice than I guess you all get a free fly this time around.
I didn't get around to tagging each individual fly so please use the following photo for reference.
Also the legs where left long and loose for you to trim and adjust to your liking. I like long legs as I am going for as large a foot print as I can get on these whilst still trying to stay light.
When cruising the local creeks sight casting to bluegills I am glad I have these when the occasional larger bass shows up.Hope they are light enough for you lightweights! Next time I'll make some Mini-Dinnys for you Zeros out there.
Enjoy!
-Ryan
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:18 am • # 17 
Administrator

Ryan, you didn't have to tie up two sets, but thank you for filling in another spot. It will be much appreciated.

J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:19 am • # 18 

J, that is two pictures of the same set I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:30 am • # 19 

Two pics yes!
First pic is of the whole set (24) 2nd pic is a little closer view.
12 are whites and 12 are dark.

J-
Not a prob. I been sitting at home lately.
I could have been working on rods tho.Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:36 pm • # 20 

Hi Guys,
Thanks alot Ryan, I'll add another dozen as well, been having some great success on everything near a couple of Marina's and docks nearby, both Black Crappie and Bluegil. Its the size 16 Orange Flash Scud, I think the locals think it looks like a freshwater shrimp or something similiar, fish it about 4ft below the service on a short sinking (2ft) leader and a 2# 2ft tippet using an indicator for the take just at the leader/fly line joint. Don't fish em deep, the fish are looking up at them when they take the scud. Almost like bait fishing but its where the gils are for sure and you will pickup some pretty big Crappie as well.
Richard

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 55 posts ] New Topic Add Reply