It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:12 am • # 21 

I know one of the reasons that the coachman wet works is that the floss body turns color when it's wet - it darkens up and takes on a reddish brown hue - at least it should - and the peacock herl is very buggy itself and reflects light just right. It screams "food" - it's like why the partridge & orange or partridge & green work - when using the right floss the bodies darken and change colors and match insect coloration pretty dang well. Some of the flosses out there are made of materials or are dyed so that they remain bright and colorful when wet - and these can alter the success of the fly.

The UVR signature is probably why the Adams works so well as it does - that and it's generally buggy without being an exact imitation of anything.

On faster water, the UV signature is probably a low priority factor - if the fish can see the fly he'll probably eat it if he's hungry. On slower water where the fish can examine the fly - UV is probably a far more important factor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm • # 22 

I always thought it was the color. I've mostly done well on them in situations like creeks where the trout aren't rising to anything specific. Seems like red and white is a good attractor color combo for a lot of fish. Coldwater trout, bass, reds and specks to start. I tie a red/white version of almost every type of fly I fish.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply