It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Dragon-Fly
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:37 pm • # 1 

I been trying to work up a new Dragon Fly pattern. I think I may be getting close to what I want, but at this point it is untested. This one is tied on a size 8 hook. The tail is foam and thread tied over a bodkin needle, then slid off the bodkin and tied on the hook. The wings are made from the plastic packaging that Daiichi hooks come in. The legs are fine/small rubber legs. The body is just foam marked with a sharpie........I know that at times in the Summer, Bass will "key" on Dragon-flies and not pay attention to much else............Don in SC

Post subject: Re: Dragon-Fly
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:43 pm • # 2 
Administrator

That looks great, Don! I hope you'll report back on your thoughts on it once fished. I've never caught a thing on an adult dragonfly imitation but that never stops me from trying them!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:29 pm • # 3 

Nice fly - I like the re-use of the hook package. That'll catch some fish for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:15 am • # 4 

Its not my fly.Made by La Bobo from Serbia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:33 pm • # 5 

Oh my that's beautiful! But I wonder how these huge wings are to cast. Any problems/issues or do they not really effect the flight?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:55 pm • # 6 

I never use,this fly is tied for fly tying competition in Serbia and its winner ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:39 pm • # 7 

I have not been able to get out and test the dragon-fly yet, the weather has been terrible. I am not sure how it will cast with all the wing area...especially with a 3wt rod, but I will report back as soon as I have time to give it a "whirl"...........Don in SC

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:11 am • # 8 

Ever give it a shot, Don? 4 of the last 5 bass I've caught have had dragonfly wings still in their mouths. Awesome fish, aren't they? :applause

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:06 pm • # 9 

The Dragonfly does work......I have caught several nice Bass with it. The drawback is, I can't get as much distance (I am sure that would come as no surprise) and I had to go to a "lighter" hook to get it to float like I wanted. (with Bass, the more distance you can toss the fly away from you, the more Bass are not "spooked" which results in more strikes) I fish this fly when I see the Bass jumping after Dragonflies. There are times when it seems that's all the Bass will hit. Not one of my best flies, but it does fit a feeding pattern. I am working on a lighter and less "draggy" Dragonfly pattern. I believe I just went a little "big" on this one (especially for UL )
Don in SC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:39 am • # 10 

Neat fly! I would have never thought of the plastic for the wings. I have only tried to tie a dragonfly once. Never have fished it though. I guess I don't have any confidence in my experiments haha. I used some white Mason line for the wings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:10 pm • # 11 

That looks like a really good dragon , ponycarman........I will give that a try......thanks Don in SC

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:59 pm • # 12 

My half hearted attempt at some foam dragon flies. I got sick of watching fish rise at every dragon fly that got near the water.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply