It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 2 Weight Bones
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:20 am • # 1 

Hey Guys

Haven't posted here for too long, but thought a recent trip to Christmas Island might be a good place to start. After a couple of days of dialling into the local bonefish population on the 8 weight, I took the 2 weight (Sage TXL-F) cue from the rack and had a ball on fish up to 4 pounds.

The highlight was hooking a 10lb+ bone (the guide called it for 10 easy, maybe 11) in less than 2 feet of water on the 2 weight. What an incredible run... 100m + of backing and he managed to nick the tippet on a coral outcrop...such is life! After a little reflection time I sat back and started to appreciate the experience of a lifetime that that fish was.

The Sage 4230, was perfect for the job with a smooth drag and 150 m of 30lb braid. Even better was the fact that fish did not take any longer to land on the 2. What a place, I will be back.

Post subject: Re: 2 Weight Bones
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:55 am • # 2 

Wow!! Dream fish on an UL! Thanks for sharing.

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:11 am • # 3 

That looks like a lot of fun. I'll have to try that next winter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:45 am • # 4 

impressive

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:59 am • # 5 

Absolutely totally addictive in the skinny stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:05 pm • # 6 

voges wrote:

The highlight was hooking a 10lb+ bone (the guide called it for 10 easy, maybe 11) in less than 2 feet of water on the 2 weight. What an incredible run... 100m + of backing and he managed to nick the tippet on a coral outcrop...such is life!

Many people, myself included, tend to think that a fly reel is merely a place to store line. Perhaps it's time to rethink that idea.

That must have been a fantastic experience!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:37 pm • # 7 

PampasPete wrote:
voges wrote:

The highlight was hooking a 10lb+ bone (the guide called it for 10 easy, maybe 11) in less than 2 feet of water on the 2 weight. What an incredible run... 100m + of backing and he managed to nick the tippet on a coral outcrop...such is life!

Many people, myself included, tend to think that a fly reel is merely a place to store line. Perhaps it's time to rethink that idea.

I decided to trade in my Click I and Click II reels and replaced them with a couple of Hatch 1 Finatics that have a smooth disc drag. I tend to fish a 00 wt. with light tippet and size 26 to 30 flies for 16"+ trout on a regular basis. When these guys want to run I just find having them on the reel is a much better way of handling their runs and actually allows me to get them in faster. Maybe not for everyone but it works for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 am • # 8 

Great stuff Vogues. It goes on to prove UFF is not just about small fish.

Brilliant and great pictures. More please.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:53 am • # 9 

Thanks Ash. Actually found the thin diameter of the 3 wt line I was using helped in not spooking the really spooky guys in the shin deep stuff. I think those mid size bones might be the perfect ultralight fish in the salt.

Post subject: 2 Weight Bones
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:43 am • # 10 

PampasPete wrote:
Many people, myself included, tend to think that a fly reel is merely a place to store line.

For freshwater fishing? Yes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:55 am • # 11 

Sounds like my kind of fun fishing well done

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 pm • # 12 

This thread is a bit aged but, searching the group I came across it.

I have bonefish about 10 minutes from my house, I have been repeatedly chasing them for a couple hours before work almost everyday for the past two weeks given the water conditions are good these days.

They come to very shallow sandy/rocky bottom water. I have hooked a few but they either unhook themselves after a short run or break the tippet on long runs. I upped my tippet to 14 lbs. I have become an expert at scaring them with my flies.

After two hours this morning only one bit and ran for a little while before unhooking. They are very easy to see and I can cast hundreds of times near them but, they get scared by the sound of the fly hitting the water. The flies are shrimp variations with bead-chain eyes in size #6. I have been using my 6 and 4 rods on them.

After some research, given the many hours of frustration spent in the water, I decided to go to with blind flies and use my 2wt. I have captured 18 inch ladyfish on the 2wt, the main difference is bones run more than once and ladyfish mostly do one super long run. I'll be trying my luck the next couple of days again.

Hope I can bring some pictures to share with you all. To the creator of this thread, thanks for posting your bones on the 2wt, this was just the inspiration I needed to get back to the water tomorrow.

This has become an obsession, they are 10 minutes away... I do not have to spend practically anything to go get them...the beach is empty when I go, maybe a couple surfers far away and that's it.

They being there doesn't mean they will bite... let's see how it goes, I'll keep you updated.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:48 pm • # 13 

Here's wishing you good luck in your efforts.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:11 am • # 14 

Roblepl wrote "I have bonefish about 10 minutes from my house, I have been repeatedly chasing them for a couple hours before work almost everyday for the past two weeks given the water conditions are good these days."

Whereabouts are you located that you can have a shot at bonefish before work? That sounds interesting.

In October a business trip will take me to a place where, with a bit of effort and little cash outlay, there is fishing available for bonefish, permit, and pompano. They simply go by different names. Anyway, the possiblilties do exist.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 am • # 15 

It is done! Puertorican Bonefish on a 2wt.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply