It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:20 pm • # 1 

There it was again, that big silver flash from the depths and yet another soul crushing refusal.

Shorty after I find myself sitting on a moss cover bolder, waiting patiently for the hackles on my bomber to dry out after being drowned by yet another eager small trout and wondering…..

I know they are there, those small stream lunkers, they just have to be. I've seen the flashes, even occasionally hooked a few over the years but never with any regularity. Fishing the same old dry/dropper setup has always worked for me, in fact its been down right blissful to say the least. Those handfuls of 4-6 inch wild jewels never get old. As you can imagine I was loathe to change.

But change I must, those big flashes of greatness just beneath the waters surface can torment your dreams.

So this early summer I've been messing with a few streamer patterns and finally settled on the one that seemed to produce the best results. The peacock herl wooly bugger fished upstream with a short rod, no exceptions. Why upstream, two reasons….never let the bigger smarter fish in the prime lies even catch a glimpse of you or the game is over before it starts and the other more simple….I aint never seen a cased caddis nymph drift upstream. And a short rod so I can keep the tip very low, almost in the water with minimal slack at all times when fishing in tight spaces.

Time to leave the dries at home and hit the water.

Its 5 am, the light is low, and the shadows are high.

Stream side temp is prime.

The early morning smell of moss covered stones invades the nostrils and the rumble of mountain water fills my ears with delight. Senses overloaded….

I can just just feel it, its going to be a glorious day!

Time to rig up and get started.

I wanted to cover a lot of water in small amount of time before the sun got too bright so I skipped along focusing on all the prime lies that I thought would holder bigger fish. That meant focussing on the big plunges and the runs right after and any other scary looking fly eating place to send the bugger into action.

The results were good, many chunky healthy fish.

Seems like every time I sat down for minute I'd find an interesting fungus nearby.

Pulled this fellow from a bowl nestled in the middle of a set of falls, look at that golf ball sized tummy!

This place has never been stocked with rainbows, all wild and numerous. They easily outnumber the brookies 5 to 1. I love seeing those white tips that develop on the fins of wild bows over time.

So much good looking water.

Most pools gave up to a half dozen fish. Interestingly enough, often times the biggest fish would come near last.

This pool was downright nasty to fish. With just a few feet of tippet hanging out from the tip top I lowered the payload in between the two logs while hiding behind a shrub. Immediately I was met by a savage tug and now the next challenge off trying to land the fish was just getting underway. Into the stream I jumped below the run, almost up to my upper thighs and lifted the rod tip up and over with a savage fish shaking the whole way down below into the calmer water. Just a second to unhook, snap a picture and off he went back home to the log jam.

By now it was almost 10 am, I'd caught enough, time to pack it in and head home. I promised my seven year old daughter I take her to the lake today, and I don't like being one to disappoint.

Get out there, get far far away from the nearest road, find those special places yet to be found.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:19 pm • # 2 

That was great! Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:10 pm • # 3 

Felt like I was there. Awesome report.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:14 am • # 4 

That was wonderful! Although I live in Texas and am a lifelong addict of salt water, I surely do miss those little streams and beautiful fish I enjoyed so much when I lived in northeast Vermont. The simple, clean beauty and solitude of the north woods, and the fragile, colorful bows, brookies, and browns always stirred me deeply. I miss it all, and I hope to get back up there again to enjoy them once more. Those small streams and their inhabitants hold a magical fascination when you develop an intimate relationship with them.

Thank you for the memories.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:21 am • # 5 

Fantastic pics and great story!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:01 pm • # 6 

Always look forward to your photo shoots Swamptrout!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 am • # 7 

Gorgeous waters, beautiful photos. Also on my list ... my list is getting loooooong.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:43 pm • # 8 

What a pretty area to fish. Your peacock bodied wooly buggers remind of something Wisconsin anglers call a thin mint bugger. It has a peacock her body with a tail of black, olive and brown marabou.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:16 am • # 9 

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:06 pm • # 10 

I live in NY. I gotta get into the Adirondaks and do some of that small stream fishing. Your story is a great read, thanks! Adios Philip :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:54 am • # 11 

Great report. Feel like I was there! You pics are stunning. Glad you decoded the secret to catching on that stream.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:01 pm • # 12 

Awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:51 pm • # 13 

Beautifully and brilliantly written, with what I think the best photo's of fish I have EVER seen. You have an eye for the camera, and a way with words.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply