It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:27 pm • # 21 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Geez, Cliff. I've seen the pictures and the magazine articles of the size of fish you catch. I figured you could use the little crapweasel as live bait.
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:49 pm • # 22 

wheezeburnt wrote:
JimRed: re: searun brookies. Yes, they CAN be searun. There are a lot of resident brookie populations here in the east, but when they get the opportunity to run to the sea (estuaries, mainly), they can do so, and get big in a hurry. They also develop pinker flesh due to their diet. Some of our main rivers here in New Brunswick like the Miramichi and its tributaries have searun brookies run up each year. They can get to be about 7 lbs; generally more like 2 to 3 lbs. I have personally caught one over 25" long, that I would estimate at 6 lbs. But those same waters also have resident populations of smaller fish that don't run to the sea. They are 6 to 12" at maturity.
Now, there are lakes in Labrador (and other places) where landlocked (i.e. no access to the salt) brookies get large, too. One such lake (Igloo Lake) that I have fished now produces 10lb brookies due to a strict hook and release policy.
The searun brookies are locally called 'seatrout'. Adds to the confusion, since 'steelhead' are seatrout, searun browns are called 'seatrout', and I understand there is a warmwater coastal fish called a trout that is neither salmo nor salvelinus.

To further add to the confusion. Most of the guys I know call brookies speckled trout and sea run trout(be it brookie or brown) are often referred to as salters.

Great report Brent. I've been waiting to hear how you guys did up there. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:50 pm • # 23 

No wonder I've been confused about all these salt water trout. So basically a sea trout and speckled trout (aka "spec") are the same thing but neither is actually a trout? Kind of like Texans calling anything that's not a bass a perch. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:57 am • # 24 

In some southern and eastern coastal regions they are called spotted sea trout, in others they are called speckled trout, or specs.

In Texas we call anything that's not a bass "bait".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:46 am • # 25 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:

:applause :applause
Geez, you're such a philistine! Its like you've raised it to an art form! :lol
brent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:52 am • # 26 

Knotty wrote:
No wonder I've been confused about all these salt water trout. So basically a sea trout and speckled trout (aka "spec") are the same thing but neither is actually a trout? Kind of like Texans calling anything that's not a bass a perch. ;)

I guess the term sea trout is a broad one. Sea trout means either a sea run brown or brook(speckled) trout around here. That being said sea run brookies are actually char. It's all very confusing when you start to break it down. You have to love these regional terms.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:34 am • # 27 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:

Good one!
:lol :applause

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 pm • # 28 

Knotty wrote:
Cliff Hilbert wrote:

Good one!
:lol :applause

That includes trout? :applause

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply