It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Onion Creek, SE Austin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am • # 1 

It happened again. I went to work (seven days on the tugboat in Corpus Christi) and we were so busy I didn't even uncase the brace of 8wts I'd brought with me. Stuck the 2wt on the empty upper bunk in my stateroom and it stayed there until crew change.

So, naturally, on the way home yesterday I had to make a couple of stops. Sometimes I have to pull over to take a quick nap; yesterday it was to make a few quick casts. The San Antonio River at State Highway 123 between the first two Polish settlements in the US (Panna Maria and Chestahowa) was a mucky bust, but Onion Creek at SH 130, near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport was a delight.

After one longear I actively avoided the sunnies (saw quite a few bedded-up) and looked for bass. Caught this beautiful, chunky Guadalupe on a topwater booby from PostFly (I suppose it's supposed to look like a frog or something) -- saw the follow and the take, lots of fun. The smaller LMB came on a little beadhead craft fur deceiver against a deep bank.

A couple of fish and I was satisfied that I needed to come back with more time (this spot is about 45 (85mph) minutes from the house. There are two large ponds at this same park that I did not get to try, but plan to next time around.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:44 pm • # 2 

Ooooh looks good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:07 pm • # 3 

I'm going to do a little more exploring, but access is terrific and this is an easy one to add to the lineup for the Sept. conclave.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:38 pm • # 4 

Terrific access is always good. Nice bass.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 pm • # 5 

Glad you were able to get your fishing fix in after 7 long days at sea. No better way to decompress. Looks like a nice spot too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:30 am • # 6 

Well, today was a fishing day and after dipping my toes into Onion Creek on the East side of Austin earlier in the week I figured a more thorough exploration was in order.

Happily, last night was "whiskey with the wife" night (between her travel to client sites and my work on the boat and the kids it's sometimes hard to find an hour to sit down and catch up on everything), which resulted in a much later start than I had anticipated.

I got to Barkely Meadows County Park a bit after 2 p.m. and followed the paved (sidewalk-like) trail to the far end of the greenway and the water. Access was, again, superior, and I saw cruising bass right off the bat.

Middle of the summer, middle of the hottest part of the day, the smart money is on going deep to cooler water, right? On the other hand, I had just tied-up a bunch of small versions of the "master splinter mouse" pattern and I just *knew* it would catch some bass.

I started with this size 8 version in gray and micro pine squirrel. I stuck with it until I lost it in a tree about 45 minutes in.

Bowing to the inevitable, I looked through my box for something that I could fish lower in the water column and tied-on a purple (!) beadhead bugger. One bass liked it right away.

I didn't, though, and as I was digging through my fly box for something else I looked down and noticed a pair of Rios about eight feet in front of me. Naturally I tied-on a Rio Getter and tossed it to them. A bass charged in and ate the fly.

The Rios disappeared, and I almost stepped across the sunken tree branch that was lying on the bottom near them when I realized it was actually a spotted gar of prodigious proportions.

The creek here is in transition from the limestone hill country to the west to the blackland prairie where it meets the Colorado River. Water was a bit cloudy with some floating algae but not the dense matts that have developed on some other reaches of a few local waters. The bottom was mostly small gravel with some mud and silt banks. Pools ranged from knee-deep to chest-deep (and deeper).

After missing the Rios, I tied-on another mini-mouse, this one in black rabbit tied on a size 6 SC-15 ... I don't think I could effectively cast it on the TFO Signature Series II 2 wt. any larger than that.

Another half dozen bass and a few redbreast (yellowbelly) sunfish fell for it as I completed the wade to State Highway 130, just under half a mile.

The fish below is a good candidate for a pure strain Guadalupe bass. Interestingly, it was followed by another about the same size and a gorgeously spotted girl more than twice its size.

I was off the water at 5:30 and I'm already planning the next trip. There is still an intriguing upstream portion to explore at this location as well as two retention ponds with standing brush. I'm seriously considering taking the kayak for the next section.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:24 pm • # 7 

Very nice report and some nice fish. I am pleased to see you also use big flies on the 2 weight. I also go up to #6 but mostly #8 & 10's.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:22 pm • # 8 

Another great report! Isn't it funny how we'll often stick w. a fly even when we know it's not right for the situation? Mini Master Splinter...great idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:51 pm • # 9 

Enjoyed reading and the pictures are great!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 pm • # 10 

linecaster wrote:
Very nice report and some nice fish. I am pleased to see you also use big flies on the 2 weight. I also go up to #6 but mostly #8 & 10's.

I would rather throw a slightly bulky size 6 than a heavy size 12. I find that as I get tired, and as I wade deeper, my casting deteriorates. Just have to take a deep breath and stop for a few minutes and slow down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:13 am • # 11 

Knotty wrote:
Another great report! Isn't it funny how we'll often stick w. a fly even when we know it's not right for the situation? Mini Master Splinter...great idea.

It's sort of like "I caught that fish on my last cast!" (because, you know, I stopped fishing afterI caught that fish). I used to say (when I fished 75 percent conventional) that my go-to lure was a pink and green Norton Sand Eel. It's what I caught the most fish on, and the most species, because it's what I left tied on the end of my leader.

Is that a tautology?

I keep reading "don't give into the temptation to change flies," and I guess that's right. At least it seemed to work for this particular session. Probably would have caught more fishing something more appropriate to the conditions, but I was more interested in proof-of-concept for this particular fly, and I really enjoy (like, literally LOL/occasionally whoop with joy) the topwater takes.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply