It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:33 am • # 1 

Well, the first ULFF.com Central Texas Meetup is in the books. Turnout was quite a bit lighter than expected, but the quality of the participants was also higher than you would have guessed, so I'm calling it a win. A huge thank you to the bidders and to our sponsors -- Rajeff Sports (Echo Fly Rods and Airflow), C. Barclay Fly Rod Co., Living Waters Fly Fishing, Bozeman Flyworks, Cabela's, and Proof Fly Fishing; we raised just over $1,000 for Veteran Outdoors and Heroes on the Water. Good job, guys.

I got to pre-fish with Canoeman, an early arrival, joined a day later by Hipshot. Those two guys ... fishing with Larry and Jim was a bit like fishing with Mutt and Jeff, or Elvis and Costello, or ... well, you get the idea. It was an awful lot of fun. The stories I heard ....

Preast, 3102yuma and RobG also joined us for some or all, as did Ralph Lee from Shreveport (Lee, if you're on here, I missed your handle ... apologies). All in all, a great group and I know some of us will be fishing together again.

Chris Johnson of Living Waters Fly Fishing provided a great overview of Brushy Creek and the Gabe AND opened-up early (with world-famous Round Rock donuts and hot coffee!) just for us Saturday morning. Much appreciated, and if you are in the area you have to stop by the new store. Chris has been in business 10 years and has just moved into his own, stand-alone building (catty-corner from the old shop) and it's a beaut! Best selection of fly tying materials in the metro area, probably the state, and he beats the big box store prices.

We wrapped-up today at Mesquite Creek Outfitters on the square in Georgetown. I believe a good time was had by all, but I'll let the guys chime in. Meanwhile, some photos. The really good ones come from Edward (3102Yuma). I know Preast has some he'll post, and there may be more. Thanks again guys, it was fun!

Larry (Canoeman) doesn't always catch fish, but when he does ....

Underwater shot of a Diamondback watersnake, South Gabe. (just seeing if you're awake)

Jim (Hipshot) working the TFO Finesse half-weight.

My 7-year-old (middle) son fly fishing from a tree on Brushy Creek about two blocks from the fly shop.

Another view of Brushy, upstream.

Some Edward (3102Yuma) pics from the San Gabriel Park contingent Saturday afternoon

Living Waters Fly Fishing in Round Rock. Go see them. Thank me later.

Randomness.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:37 pm • # 2 

I certainly enjoyed myself. Aaron and his bride put a lot of effort into the Friday night get together at his house; your hospitality was most appreciated. And it was an honor to meet Preast and put a face with the handle. But I expected someone about fifty years older.........

My sincere thanks to Larry (Canoeman). He and I were both on a mission to catch our first Rio. All weekend long he graciously turned them away so I could catch them in his place; I know what a sacrifice you were making, brother. Can't say I'da done the same for you (heh heh heh........). But if you change your mind about Matagorda I'll do my best to hook you up with some slot reds. They pull a little harder than those bream.

Those of you who thought about coming but wimped out missed a great time. Thank you Aaron, for all of your (and your family's) hospitality, and for all the legwork and effort you put into this event. You oughta consider making it an annual affair.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:22 pm • # 3 

Alrighty, folks ... the money ($940 and change, after credit card transaction fees, auction site transaction fees, etc.) has been transferred! $470 to Veteran-Outdoors.com, and $470 to Heroes on the Water. Thank you all so much.

Both groups make a real difference in helping to heal the wounds of war and have quite literally saved lives. If you doubt, or even if you don't, please watch this home-made video (turn up the sound):

https://youtu.be/XXeuktMNjY8

Here's the note I sent with both donations:

Donation on behalf of the UltralightFlyFishing.com Central Texas Meetup (Sept. 22-24), made possible by: Mesquite Creek Outfitters, Living Waters Fly Fishing, Rajeff Sports, C. Barclay Fly Rod Co., Proof Fly Fishing, Bozeman Flyworks, and Cabela's ... and the generosity of the participants. Thank you for all that you do for veterans!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:39 pm • # 4 

Hey hipshot, no need to thank me for steering those Rios your way; I was glad to do it; I'm just that kinda guy. And I don't know where you are going to find a red that pulls harder than that redbreast I'm holding up above (I mean really, what a beast).

I had a blast, wouldn't have missed it, and to those who didn't show, well, your loss.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:46 pm • # 5 

Definitely a pleasure meeting everyone. Larry, sorry you missed out on that Barclay. But hey now you have another story... you got beat out of an auction by Willie Nelson! Who knew he appreciated fine glass fly rods?

Thanks Aaron for putting this together! And a great cause too!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 pm • # 6 

Great pics, Randy. Y'all really got into the Rios there!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:13 pm • # 7 

Preast,

Nice pics.
I think that the unidentified 4th member of our fishing group might have been Willie Nelson :)

Edward

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:41 pm • # 8 

I have to say great pictures too. Can’t get over the water clarity.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply