It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Margaree River and home
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:56 pm • # 1 

The wife and I had a vacation last week and took us North to Prince Edward Island and Cape Breton in Canada. While in Cape Breton, set up a Half day guide trip on the Margaree. Not UL, but fishing, learned a lot, as this was my first time fishing for Atlantic Salmon, unfortunately no fish to show for it. It is a beautiful river, but very much in need of some rain. Went back out on my own a day later, with similar results. However, in the area there is a trout farm in that is catch and keep with Rainbows and Speckled trout. Stopped to catch some dinner, caught 3 rainbows totaling 5 lbs with the largest at 2 lbs 10 oz.(sorry no pics). All caught on GCR 2 wt.

After returning home, got out onto a more local stretch of the Passaic with my 30+ Yr old 5'-6" UL Ugly Stick spinning and the 2wt GCR. After a few tugs on the 4" soft plastic swim bait, I switched to a 3" and #4 hook, this bought an average sunfish to hand. Walked down river a bit and brought in a small Large mouth maybe 8 inches long. Moved further down and hooked a big one making runs and pulling drag.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqyieu5dvo2dc ... .jpeg?dl=0
4 lb Smallmouth eventually brought to hand. Caught another small sunfish on the fly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:36 pm • # 2 

Sounds like a nice trip despite the absence of catching Salmon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:21 pm • # 3 

Sorry you saw how low our rivers are right now in the Maritimes, but I'm glad you got to see the Margaree. Salmon fishing has been off for a couple of months now, due to a lack of rain. We've had record low stream flows, and the salmon that ARE in the rivers are sluggish; the ones still in the bays are waiting for a few days of rain to make their spawning run.
brent in New Brunswick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:19 pm • # 4 

SkipM, bummer about the salmon but at least you got to have fun with the CGR 2wt.

Nice smallmouth catch on the Passaic. It's a river I keep intending to hit but somehow it never happens. Just don’t know where to access it. If you care to share PM me to avoid burning your spots.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:52 pm • # 5 

Even without the salmon it sounds like it was a good trip. It looks like conditions weren’t conducive to salmon fishing.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply