It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 pm • # 1 

Well this is the first trip out in about 3 to 4 weeks. I sold my non-ul TFO Mangrove 4wt and attempted to pick up a Orvis Recon 3 wt. local shop didn’t have them in stock but the service center that I work at had them in stock. Unfortunately I can just pick it up myself. So fedex to NC, then USPS to my door. Not sure how that works, house is 46 miles from work, in the same state. 100+ miles out of the way, just to come right back. Go figure! Any ways 7 days later it was delivered to my door on Tuesday. Carried it around in my truck until this morning where I took it out for the first time. Generally I leave the plastic on the grip until I catch the first fish with the rod. Well the Recon didn’t have any so I figured I would be jinxed from the get go. Not the case! Hit up the New River a whopping 4 miles from the house. Rigged up the Orvis Recon 8’4” 3wt, Battenkill II reel, Hydros Superfine 4wt line, braided maxima chameleon leader, 3 ft of 5x fluorocarbon leader and tied on a trout magnet soft plastic crawdad on a #10 1/80oz jig hook.
Brought a couple dozen of these guys to hand:

Followed by some of these:

And the last fish of the morning:

All and all a good 2 hours on the water. Need to spend some more time with the Recon to get a honest assessment of it so far I’m liking it. The reel is a different story. The click paw is a little on the light side for my taste, and it has a small arbor as well. Think I’m going to load the line on my Redington Zero 2/3. Same diameter, and weight, but larger arbor, wider, and the clicker is a little bit stiffer. And put my 2wt line and the Battenkill on my 2wt Finesse over n the classifieds, and adjust the price a little since it is only the rod and tube.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:55 pm • # 2 

Very successful trip with the new rod. Hope it’s an indicator of things to come.

I've got to remember to use trout magnets with fly rods. I use the Mini Magnets but the regular ones I only use with spin.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 am • # 3 

Knotty haven’t tried the mini magnets, will have to look into those, have only heard or seen the trout and crappie magnets. The trout magnets with a smaller 1/80 or 1/100 oz jig head work well on my 2 and 3wts. Crappie magnets shouts work on 4wt and up, but the haven’t tried them yet being larger.

Well you would have amazed. I actually flipped threw the manual fro the reel. You can actually adjust the drag by rotating a little cam to one of the four positions. It was set at the lightest, rotated to the second lightest and it’s set the way I like it. Course this was after I swapped it out with my Redington Zero. So installed it on my TFO Finesse 2wt. Removed it from the classifieds because I can’t make up my mind if I want to keep it or go with a 1wt Superfine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:21 pm • # 4 

Nice catch Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:26 am • # 5 

Looks like fun!

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply