It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Bows and Bass
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 pm • # 1 

Fall trout stocking occurred here in NJ last week but because of work I hadn't the time to hit any of the rivers until today.

I hit only one stretch of my local river. Starting with a single Crazy Legz nymph under a New Zealand Strike Indicator (wool). After a snag I switched to a killer bugger but no hits other than a small redbreast sunfish. This was mostly in the tailout below a run.

I'm not a fan of waiting and watching so I swapped out the indicator rig with a Briminator that mbarker68x tied and moved up to the run. Fished it upstream first and then switched to swinging it. On one of the first swings I felt a hit, so I persisted and eventually came up with a rainbow. Don't know what happened to this guy but he's had a rough life. Just look at how messed up his body is. Still glad to catch (and release) it. Additional work in the stretch produced nothing.

Moved to my local pond and switched to UL spin. Daiwa Spinmatic rod, Shimano NASCI 1000, SOS 2# line and trout magnet under an indicator. Caught just a couple yellow perch before the big event; a 3.6# largemouth took the TM about 50' from shore. It put up a nice fight but I just let the NASCI's drag do it's thing and finally brought this beauty to the net.

Post subject: Re: Bows and Bass
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:19 pm • # 2 

Big Bass! Maybe the trout had an encounter with an otter or some such animal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 am • # 3 

I think the trout's mother was probably on cocaine or heroin, that's why it's deformed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:21 am • # 4 

Great trip!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 pm • # 5 

I agree with Cliff... definitely drug related..probably from a dysfunctional family of trout,staying out late,swimming with the wrong type of fish,taking unnecessary risks.yep probably crack......awesome job landing the bass. My heart would still be racing :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 pm • # 6 

Certainly an unusual looking trout but, on the plus side it looks like he's been in the river a while. Maybe a holdover?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:29 pm • # 7 

softhackle wrote:
Certainly an unusual looking trout but, on the plus side it looks like he's been in the river a while. Maybe a holdover?

Not likely. River gets too warm in summer. Our fall stocking is trout between 14” & 22”.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply