It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Guadzilla
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:07 pm • # 1 

Waded about 2.5 miles on Brushy Creek yesterday with James Reese. it was the day after a cold front and a chilly start. Fishing was slow, but we did okay on Guadalupe bass, including my new personal best 15+ inches on the Echo Carbon XL 2 wt. that pretty much made the day (week, month, year) for me!

Post subject: Re: Guadzilla
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 pm • # 2 

Beautiful river, I live in the wrong part of Texas. That bass on a 2 wt would make my year too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:27 pm • # 3 

That's a chunky looking guad you got there, Aaron. Felt good on that 2 weight I'll bet.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 pm • # 4 

Nice!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:41 am • # 5 

I really need to make a trip to the Guad. Is 15” unusual for guad bass? I usually see photos of smaller size.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 am • # 6 

Those are all nice fish Aaron!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:52 am • # 7 

ARReflections wrote:
I really need to make a trip to the Guad. Is 15” unusual for guad bass? I usually see photos of smaller size.

Guads are riverine bass and any fish over 14 inches is considered a "trophy." The state catch-and-release record is 18 inches. I'm told by the guy who is in charge of the electrofishing surveys and the restoration projects (Guads easily hybridize with smallmouth, as well as spotted bass, both of which were stocked widely through the 1990s) that there are many potential state record fish in more than one of our rivers.

Science tells us that these riffle-loving, insectivorous (to a lesser degree in adulthood) bass act a lot more like coldwater trout than your standard black bass ... anglers will tell you that, subjectively, we think they fight harder. ;-) I love them for the same reasons I think high mountain cutthroats and Appalachian brookies are special: they are natives, they are endemic (in the case of the Guads found nowhere else in the world), and they have evolved to exactly fit our local streams. Great fun on ultralight tackle!

Edit: Oh -- and I should mention that the namesake river is probably an unlikely place to find one. Samplng shows that most (close to 80 percent) there are hybridized with smallmouth, and progress on restoration has not been very good. The South Llano, Llano, Brushy Creek, San Saba, Lampasas, San Gabriel and Lower Colorado all have pure native populations still, with restoration coming on parts of the San Gabriel in 2018. There are introduced refuge populations on the Nueces and Sabinal Rivers, where smallies and spotted bass were never introduced.

Last edited by TXH2Oman on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:53 am • # 8 

preast wrote:
Those are all nice fish Aaron!

Thanks, Randy! I'm off for a few weeks if you have time to fish! (Break out the waders, eh?)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 am • # 9 

If I lived within 100 miles of Brushy Creek instead of 325 miles, I would try to fish it at least every couple of weeks. It offers more variety than my favorite local creek.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:38 am • # 10 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
If I lived within 100 miles of Brushy Creek instead of 325 miles, I would try to fish it at least every couple of weeks. It offers more variety than my favorite local creek.

Larry

I dunno, Larry. Your favorite local creek, from everything you've said to me, sounds pretty great! Now ... the Lampasas? That is one under-appreciated and stunningly diverse gem! In fact, if you're still planning a Hill Country 'Clave for the spring, we should discuss.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:29 pm • # 11 

Those Hill Country streams are beautiful.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply