It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: A Report of Sorts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 am • # 1 

The Max Catch Avid line has a blue head and comes spooled. Sweet. Given my history with turning bagged lines into a twisted mess, I was sold. 3wt please.

Now, it did come with a box and a spool, but the line was in a bag, separate from them.

Long story short

But, I've been through this several times. As a couple episodes of That 70's Show played in the background, I began to untangle.

Success

Next was the first attempt at mop flies. They look "fishy", so why not?

My first

So, I hit the canal. Unfortunately, the wind was too much for a 2wt. and the trip was cut short. The cast that didn't bounce off the back of my head was well received...

Post subject: Re: A Report of Sorts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 am • # 2 

Haha. I feel your pain re. the tangled line. I usually put an hour of Mark Knopfler on the ipod, but a couple of 70s Show episodes sounds like a good plan, too. (Ideally, I suppose a couple of episodes of Whose Line Is It? might be more apropos.)
brent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:54 am • # 3 

My Bozeman lines, although they come in a nice fly box, are also unspooled. It was a good thing I was alone at home when I tried to untangle that unholy mess and put it on my reel. For some reason my wife thinks my language becomes somewhat unhinged at times like that. I also wouldn't want my young grandson to learn certain words and phrases at his tender age. While I like the prices on these lines, a spool would not add all that much to the price, and would certainly decrease the frustration levels. >: >:

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:57 pm • # 4 

How do you like the fly line? I was thinking about picking up the 2wt for dries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 pm • # 5 

I don't know yet. It's funny, I have two reels strung up now with the Bozeman line, and haven't tried out either of them so far. If I didn't know better I would think I have too many reels. Aaron could answer that better than I.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:42 am • # 6 

I would not be a bit surprised if the Bozeman line was manufactured by MaxCatch (it's parent company, actually). I like it. But I like the MaxCatch WF3F (and WF2 and WF1) as well. They are all reasonably close to industry standard weights and the tapers are well done. If there is a down side, it is the (lack of) sickness in the coating and durability. I'm hard on my stuff, but even so, get about 6 mos out of a line. But at $5.87, $9, $19, or $39 -- whatever one is paying for whichever version, that's okay.

To avoid tangles messes, of which I have experienced many, I put the entire coil on the finfers of my right hand, then unwrap it and let it loosely fall on the floor to my left, leaving me with the reel end or butt of the line. Usually winds right up without a hitch.

Before I did that I tangled one so badly that after an hour I gave up and dumped a brand new fly line in the trash!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:14 pm • # 7 

SharkBait wrote:
How do you like the fly line? I was thinking about picking up the 2wt for dries

I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:01 pm • # 8 

I have been ordering the MaxCatch lines ever since an $80 brand name line failed after a month's use.
I have MaxCatch lines 2 years old that still work & look fine!
If you carefully un-roll the lines from their coiled state when you take the twist-ties off they aren't too bad to handle, and I can put up with a small snarl for the low price!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:35 pm • # 9 

I’ve been tying a bunch of mop flies, now i’m fired up to use them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:12 pm • # 10 

I too have tied a lot of mop flies but I never seem to use them. Guess it’s a confidence, or rather a lack there of, thing. Gotta get past this mental block because everything about them screams “fish on.”

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply