It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:59 am • # 1 

Two long weeks on the tugboat, and I just had to stop and fish a little on the way home yesterday. Got a chance to throw the new Ben's 1wt s-glass while my buddy borrowed my C. Barclay 683s.

The Ben's rod is 6.5 ft and comes in at 1.7 oz. It balanced perfectly with a Battenkill I (2.8 oz) spooled with a 64 grain WF1. I imagine there is some room to go up or down on the line weight just a bit, but that line was a really good match for the rod. I'm not much good at describing rod actions -- you can see from the photos that the rod flexes to the butt; a lot softer than my Barclay, but crisper than a CGR 2wt (really, what isn't?).

I got the rod specifically to chase Rio Grande cichlids, which are mostly still on vacation this time of year, and wasn't targeting anything in particular yesterday -- it was blowing 15-20 kts and the water was stained from recent rains, so I was just casting to likely spots and cussing the shrubbery.

As is often the case, I was throwing bigger flies than I should have been -- #8 and #10 carp-it bombs, mostly, with beadchain eyeys and some lead wire wraps. Even so, I was pleasantly surprised at what the rod could do. I imagine it will shine with #10-#14 dries and terrestrials, damsel nymphs and the like.

The builder saw a picture of the bass I caught on the rod and commented: "Is it still a 3-piece rod? It's a 1wt, just saying ..." LOL. I never felt like the rod was going to cause a problem bringing the fish to hand. Or that it would end up as a 4-piece.

Anyway, very pleased with the Ben's, and with the entire experience of customizing the rod and getting it built and shipped. Great guys, and terrific company to deal with.

I told my buddy he's going to have to bite the bullet and order his own C Barclay rod -- I want mine back! You know, for the really big fish.

*Of note: We wet-waded, comfortably, and saw a ton of damselflies and even some dragons and hoppers. Spring has sprung! In South Texas, at least.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:40 am • # 2 

Aaron,
Paint me chartreuse with envy. That bass must have felt like a great white on that 1 weight. And your buddy must be a really good friend for you to let him play with that Barclay rod. I hope he didn't leave any teeth marks on the butt of the rod. But if he did, I will be a friend and help you dispose of the damaged rod. ;)

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 am • # 3 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
Aaron,
Paint me chartreuse with envy. That bass must have felt like a great white on that 1 weight. And your buddy must be a really good friend for you to let him play with that Barclay rod. I hope he didn't leave any teeth marks on the butt of the rod. But if he did, I will be a friend and help you dispose of the damaged rod. ;)

Larry

Larry, I knew I could count on you! I'm going to have to get him a throwaway rod if he's going to keep doing that -- you know, a Scott or Sage or something.

BTW, I think we'll both be making it to the Llano meetup for at least a day, maybe more.

Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 pm • # 4 

Well, I'm definitely expecting you to show up. But if you can't, I can give you directions for where to ship your new rods so they will be there when I arrive. I wouldn't want the rods to miss out on the trip. :hat

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 am • # 5 

Glad you were able to work your schedules out and fish together. Looks like a successful day in every way.

I see you’re wading pretty deep. I often find myself in the same situation but hate that my sling pack gets soaked and then I have to take everything out to dry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:54 am • # 6 

Knotty wrote:
Glad you were able to work your schedules out and fish together. Looks like a successful day in every way.

I see you’re wading pretty deep. I often find myself in the same situation but hate that my sling pack gets soaked and then I have to take everything out to dry.

I totally agree. I like to keep it no more than .... er, thigh ... deep if possible. It was the only way I could get around a bunch of cane hanginjg over the bank in that pic. Unless it's just sweltering, and then I'm happy to go deep.

I have a waterproof backpack I sometimes take if I know I'm wading deep, but I have to take it off to get to my stuff.

All the solutions I've found so far are pricey -- Umpqua Thunderhead pack or sling, Fishpond waterproof pack and chest pack ... I dunno, I'll figure it out someday. And in the meantime I just pack important stuff in little drybags, 3 for $15 or something at Walmart. Or ziplocs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:57 pm • # 7 

Pretty cool. Looking at that water, it makes me wonder how you didn't get shot at. "Navigable" I presume? Also, looks like you've pretty much converted to glass... they say that happens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:17 am • # 8 

preast wrote:
Pretty cool. Looking at that water, it makes me wonder how you didn't get shot at. "Navigable" I presume? Also, looks like you've pretty much converted to glass... they say that happens.

Randy, I still really like my Carbon XLs, but they are on the slow side. And looking forward to that Finesse 1wt!

On the navigability issue ... the stream itself is 30+ feet in many areas, but due to the low gradient (and soft substrate) the stream bed itself meanders a lot and is quite broad between obvious high, fixed banks. I'd be willing to make the argument in court.

Jess got to meet the game warden courtesy of a landowner on another, nearby creek that is similar (but smaller) -- the issue was that the landowner thought he had crossed a fence that ran across the streambed (he didn't). The game warden scratched his head and said he didn't know about navigability of that particular stream, but keep fishing until told otherwise.

Interestingly, on this particular creek, surveys don't appear to cross the stream itself -- ranches are fenced along the high bank, and you have to go a long ways upstream before a fence even comes down into the streambed. This is all Spanish land grant territory, so that surprised me

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply