It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:45 am • # 1 

A planned paddling trip fell through yesterday and after hemming and hawing I opted to hit some of the same water on foot. It was that or tie flies and edit book chapters. I'm so glad I opted to fish, since this is the short, bifutcated spawning season for gray redhorse suckers. I see them a lot on the clear, spring-fied streams of the Edwards Plateau, but thy are fast and spooky ... except when they have love on the brain. I snuck up behind these guys and sightcasted two before moving on. I could have caught them all day.

The redhorse fell to a Pat's Rubberlegs, (I lost one on a Rio Getter), and everything on the C. Barclay 683 synthesis prototype.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:47 am • # 2 

Some good action there, Aaron. Been a long time since I caught a redhorse. We used to catch them on Blue River, about 30 miles from my home. I never caught one on a fly, but on Roostertail spinners and small Rebel Crawdads. We were catching the River Redhorse. A few years ago, during one of our Blue River Flyfisher One Fly events, a guy caught a very nice redhorse. The redhorse is one of the few suckers that is not too difficult to catch on flies. I have caught a couple of white suckers, but those catches are very far and few between. Almost makes catching carp look simple (almost).

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:53 pm • # 3 

Very nice rod. Enjoyed the pictures - especially the sunfish's dorsal fin.

Nice to be able to get out and fish!

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:33 pm • # 4 

Suckers can be a lot of fun on a fly rod. While I haven’t caught any redhorse on the fly but, I have taken my fair share of white suckers while fishing for trout. I’ve outgrown my disappoint at hooking a sucker and appreciate them now for the gamefish they are.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:45 pm • # 5 

Nice catches. Never heard of redhorse before but agree that suckers, in general, are fun to catch. One day I caught two stocker rainbows and two suckers, all roughly 14”. Surprisingly the suckers out fought the bows by a long shot. They have my respect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 pm • # 6 

Great pictures as usual. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:46 pm • # 7 

I would be interested in knowing how you guys catch suckers. The last one I caught was on a size 14 wooly bugger I had blind cast into a deep pocket on my favorite small stream. I just saw a flash of pale bronze color as it went streaking by me, throwing up a roostertail off the fly line. As it hit the end of the line and circled around me, the centripetal force was so great it went about foot in the air. I thought I had hooked a smallmouth, as they are present in moderate numbers in that stream, but it was a white sucker. I don't see as many suckers in that stream as I used to, but they seem to be making a comeback. I have a good friend who lives about 100 yards from that creek, who has become an acknowledged local carp guru, but he also would like to find a consistent way to catch suckers on a fly. I assume you mostly use nymphs, but how are they presented: on a dead drift, under a strike indicator, or what?

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 am • # 8 

I catch a lot of suckers, up to five species, during the spring spawning runs. They usually stack up at strong riffles and weirs. The ticket for me is any small nymph pattern under an indicator. I'll usually tie on a size 14 soft hackle but virtually anything else works.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 am • # 9 

In South Africa the Vaal river smallmouth Yellow fish does as described above. It takes off like a rocket. Those fish are caught on a size 16 nymph above which is a caddis nymph weighted and depending on the water depth and current speed a fluff strike indicater. Best fun ever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 am • # 10 

I like catching red horse suckers. Good fun and an indicator of good water quality.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:07 pm • # 11 

ARReflections wrote:
I like catching red horse suckers. Good fun and an indicator of good water quality.

Do you have any fly or presentation tips?

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply