It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Gut Feeling
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:23 pm • # 1 

NJ can’t break free of winter. We’re on our 4th nor’easter in just a few weeks. Lost power in a couple of them. Out for a total of 6 days. I’m fortunate to have a generator and a snowblower, so we took it all in stride.

Of course this weather doesn’t make for good fishing but I try on any day that my schedule allows. This past weekend was in the high 30’s and sunny so I planned to hit a shallow duck pond a couple towns away. My gut said it would be the most productive.

On the way there I detoured to a pond I haven’t hit in a long time. Pounded it w. UL spin gear but no signs of life.

Back on the road to my original destination, I was once again lured to an area with a couple of interlinking ponds. Again w. UL spin I worked many areas of two ponds, walking miles through the snow, always hoping the fish would be on the next point. Not!

Finally moved on to my original destination. It’s a classic town duck pond, very shallow and all filimentious algae and weeds when things warm up. But it was cold so I broke out my Echo 3 wt, figuring I could keep a briminator off the bottom much easier than anything castable on spin, considering the slow retrieve that would be necessary.

Sure enough, first cast produced a black crappie. Two more followed before all the catches changed over to bluegills and I finally started taking pics. What a joy it was to catch even these small fish on a fly rod again.

Should have trusted my gut and gone straight to this pond.

One thing I’ve noticed with my pond fishing is that distance casting matters. On another duck pond a couple weeks earlier I wasn’t catching anything until I made a hero cast. Let the fly fall and fish on! A nice big gill. After that most casts at the limit of my abilities produced a fish. I was using a CGR 4/5 and casting into a stiff breeze. My 2 wt CGR wouldn’t cut it. Eventually laid my line out on the ground to measure it out and found that it was taking 70’ casts to catch anything. I’m sure many can cast further but on a 7’6” glass rod, it took everything I was capable of. Many casts just fell apart or were turned around by the wind.

Post subject: Re: Gut Feeling
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:36 pm • # 2 

Knotty, you noreasterner's are hardy folk. I think it's too cold to go fishing when the temps are in the high 40's. Of course we are a bunch of hot house flowers down here in southern Oklahoma. I can recall going out after trout about 25-30 years ago with ice and snow on the ground, but I was 25-30 years younger then. Feeling that tug on the end of the line is a powerful motivator. Glad it finally ended well for you, after all that work.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:15 am • # 3 

Terrific report. You earned those fish, for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:33 am • # 4 

Feeling your pain knotty! Being in Va the past couple of weeks has been pretty off for me. 4-6” of snow, as soon as it clears off it dumps another 4-6”. It’s getting old pretty quick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:24 am • # 5 

Nice report Knotty, Briminator is no1, still looking forward to my first outing, maybe Saturday am. I cannot imagine living in the cold conditions you guys are putting up with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:16 pm • # 6 

Brr. Glad you could get out. Great report.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply