It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Holdover Surprise
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:46 pm • # 1 

On the third Sunday of March I took my CGR to the smallest of all the ponds I fish, just hoping that maybe some bluegills were warming up. This pond is very shallow and usually thick w. algae and weeds but this day it was almost crystal clear. With almost no weeds, you could just look right into the water and search for fish but none were to be seen. So, I cast my Briminator mid-pond hoping they were bunched up in the only deep spot. After a few casts I got a hit. Expected a gill but it was a beautiful rainbow! This fish had survived heat and other anglers since last spring, when the town stocked it for a kid’s fishing derby. Amazing. The ground on one side of the pond seeps, so I suspect cool spring water allowed it to survive. Truly a surprise catch at a time when fishing is closed on all state stocked waters.

Post subject: Re: Holdover Surprise
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 pm • # 2 

The Briminator, see!!!
Pretty fish, interesting report.
Nice surprise with the spotted Blue Gill.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:59 am • # 3 

Our local lake gets stocked with rainbows each spring. No way they can survive the summer heat in the lake (shallow - max depth about 12') and no fresh water (springs) enter it in the dry months of late summer.
I don't feel bad about catching a few of those trout for the dinner table, but I've often wondered if a few that escape over the spillway during heavy rain could possibly survive in some of the deep holes in the creek below the lake.
The hole the spillway empties into is (by what I've been told in my youth) an old rock quarry and is very deep. At one time I know it was at least 35' deep, but over the years it has filled in some by silt/debris washing into it. I have caught many trout there after the stocking & heavy rains, but none after May or early June in past years. But I have also seen trout going down the riffle where the creek leaves the hole, and I believe there may be a couple spring fed locations further down the creek. Problem there is it's all privately owned and fishing access isn't easy to get.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:48 am • # 4 

Great stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:08 am • # 5 

Blue River in southern Oklahoma is stocked with rainbow trout from November to March every year. They quit stocking in March because the water is warming up to the point that trout will not be able to survive. About 30 years ago when a friend and I first started fishing this river for sunfish and bass, we were greatly surprised when he caught a couple of trout from a deeper pool. This was in June, and kids had been swimming there earlier. In fact Kurt wanted to fish that pool a little longer, but two kids showed up and jumped in. I have never seen any more trout that late in the year. The nearest spring is about a half mile up stream from that location.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:16 pm • # 6 

That's a great catch.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply