It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: My Happy Place
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:39 pm • # 1 

Because of the extended winter here in NJ the fish have remained deep in most lakes and ponds. Prior to today, there was only one shallow pond where I could count on catching some bluegills.

Instead of the usual 40’s temps, last Friday it went into the low 80’s so I hit a town pond with my CGR and it didn’t disappoint. Schools of gills were easy to find eager to bite.

My fly of choice was a double legs but tied with bead chain eyes instead of a bead head. Gives it more of a tailess briminator look. Instead of a tail, the fly has a green hotspot. I like this because even with the briminator’s tiny tail, bluegills often short strike, just nipping at the tail and missing the hook.I landed a couple dozen nice gills w/o a single dink.

As sunset approached I switched to a Sneaky Pete for some top water action and brought in 5 more bluegills and a little bass.

A passerby asked me why I wasn’t on the rivers, chasing trout? Nah, I wasn’t interested in trout that day. I was in my happy place. Casting and catching beautiful bluegills. Staying warm and dry. Bending a rod and enjoying each minute.

Standard version of double legs fly.
http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/double-legs

Last edited by Knotty on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Happy Place
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 pm • # 2 

Our weather here in Oklahoma has been up and down over the past couple of weeks. Over last week, our temps stayed mostly in the low 50's, and by the weekend had dropped into the high 20's. Today's high was 83. I have been working on my much neglected lawn and shrubbery the last 2-3 days, and now would be a good time to go fishing. Unfortunately I have to undergo a minor medical procedure in the morning, and won't be out of the surgical center until early afternoon, and even then I will be 100 miles from home. Thursday I have to see my ophthalmologist for a laser procedure to clear up my lens capsule following cataract surgery. Hopefully the weather will be nice on Friday and the weekend, so I can finally get out.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:49 am • # 3 

Knotty, yoou have your priorities right, just love the Blue Gills. I am in the same boat as Larry,
hopefully Saturday am before the cold front comes, (again ) I plan on a ride on my favourite little lake on my little kayak.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:04 pm • # 4 

Larry, lawn work never ends. Just take care of the medical stuff and get out there.

Eric, hoping the weather and the fish cooperate this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 pm • # 5 

Knotty, good choice of waters last weekend. Yes, with the weather we are having the streams and rivers are high and even the stockies are finding it easier to evade fishermen.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:43 pm • # 6 

Still haven't made it out this week. Aside from the medical visits, it is either high winds or rain. Well, at least the rain may have finally put out the out of control fires in NW Oklahoma that have already destroyed 2 or 3 small towns and killed a lot of livestock.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:20 pm • # 7 

Knotty wrote:
Larry, lawn work never ends. Just take care of the medical stuff and get out there.

Eric, hoping the weather and the fish cooperate this weekend.

Sorry to say the weather did not cooperate, cold wind out of the east followed by rain. Have definite plans for next Saturday.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply