It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:06 am • # 1 

Been putting together a (sorry for the possibly offensive word) HEAVY action spinning outfit for channel cat & carp fishing. (Penn Fierce 2500 LL "live liner" reel & Penn Prevail surf rod) My back keeps getting worse & even UL fly casting can be painful after a few minutes, so I decided to do more fishing from the comfort of a folding chair on the bank this year. :-[

Got the rod yesterday so I headed for the local lake to give it a try. Nice sunny afternoon, and the morning weather forecast said a nice sunny day ahead.
So much for trusting the weather experts. :lol
I got everything set up and noticed a dark cloud heading my way. A light sprinkle of rain and I thought I'd just let it pass without even going back to the truck to get my rain jacket.
Then the skies opened up and dumped a downpour on me! I was only 50' from the truck, but by the time I got my gear all back to the truck (2 trips) me and all my gear was soaked!
Went home (2 mile trip) and it hadn't even rained! Got all the gear dried off as best I could and laid it out to dry completely in my garage.
By then we were getting a light shower of rain, so I went to the house & changed clothes & fixed a cup of hot tea.

The storms finally passed and I decided I still needed to catch something, so I headed back to the lake with the Echo 9'0" 2wt outfit.
A few light hits on a #12 black ant, but only one small crappie caught, so I tied on a 1/200th oz "Crappie Magnet" and put a chartreuse body on it.
That's what the bluegill wanted!

Caught several before I gave in to the back pain and called it quits.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:57 am • # 2 

Way to go, don't let circumstances get you down. I can commiserate with your back pain; have had to stop earlier than I wanted many times because I was hurting too much to continue fishing. As regards the weather forecast, I should have been a meteorologist: the job where you can be wrong at least 50% of the time and still get paid.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:38 pm • # 3 

Might I say the day was a success, you caught on the fly rod and not on spinning gear. Lovely Blue Gill too.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:21 am • # 4 

Thanks for the report and sorry about the bad back. Pray it gets better.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 am • # 5 

Went back yesterday evening just before dark and caught several more. The 2wt is my favorite tool for bluegill, but the old back just doesn't always cooperate.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply