It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Undergunned Update
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:59 am • # 1 

Yesterday dawned dark and overcast. Official forecast was 'cloudy, with an 80% chance of bass'. So I grabbed a coffee and a muffin, and went to the loft to tie up a S__tfaced MacDougall. Its a #2 dry fly hook, white calftail tail, conical (popper-style) chartreuse deerhair body, grizzly palmered body hackle, and a grizzly collar. Looks huge but doesn't weight that much.
In a last minute fit of wimposity, I put the 3wt back and grabbed a 5 wt 9' rod because the winds were coming up. I struggled into my hippers, applied a liberal dose of deet to discourage the blackflies and mosquitoes once I entered the woods, and hiked down to the pool.
Thirty minutes in, after some flashy, splashy strikes, I had landed a half dozen big fallfish breeders who managed to get their mouths around the fly, each time thinking I had hooked a bass. Then, something delicately sipped the fly under and it was game on. It wasn't the brute, but the smally measured 18" and fought well. Over the next hour, I landed (in addition to a few more fallfish) two more bass measuring between 18 and 19", but no sign of the big'un and no smaller bass.
I guess I'll leave it for a couple of days and try something else. As the water level drops, the big fish will slowly drop back downstream, but I've got about a week before they leave this pool and it appears I'm the only one fishing it so far. Besides, if I ever become so jaded as to be disappointed in catching 'only' 18" fish a ten minute walk from my house, well, shame on me.
My apologies (to everyone but Cliff :lol ) for the use of the word '5wt'.
brent

Post subject: Re: Undergunned Update
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:40 am • # 2 

Apology accepted.

Sounds like it was a great day, regardless of the choice of tackle.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:46 am • # 3 

:lol I expect to see a pic of the big one before the week is out, Brent. Sorry you could only catch little 18"-19" smallies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:24 pm • # 4 

Cliff: yes, I hope to get another crack at the pool this evening. And its supposed to drizzle all day tomorrow, so maybe then, too.
I sent photos of the three largish fish to my salmon and trout fishing buddy. He considers bass to be a member of the crustacean family :eek and even he admitted that he was almost tempted to take me up on a longstanding offer to come fish for them. Almost. :lol
brent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:54 pm • # 5 

Geeze, Brent!!! I don't care where you are, 18" brown bass are top-drawer targets. Wish we had 'em closer to the Houston area. Good on you. I love trout and salmon (haven't caught either in decades), but I never saw a trout or a salmon that could outfight a brown bass. I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with those pesky redfish....... they kinda pull hard too :applause :applause :applause :applause

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:16 am • # 6 

Hipshot: Redfish! Man, I'd LOVE to get a crack at some of them. You lucky dog! I fished them once, near Bluffton, but with no success. Frankly, I had no idea what I was doing.
I'm with you on the 'pound for pound' thing in terms of the fight of trout vs. smallmouth bass.

update: I went back Monday evening in a gentle rain as a cold front was moving in. That's never a good sign. The big green floater was only mildly successful, so I switched to a #6 wooly bugger with a chartreuse marabou tail, red chenille body and bright orange palmered hackle with a few green rubber legs added for bad taste. Part of my 'pole dancer' series. :lol
Long story short, first cast was gulped while the marabou was still floating on the surface. After a great fight with plenty of acrobatics, I landed a big, gravid female just a hair over 20", mouth to tail fork. My biggest bass on a fly rod to date. I'm amazed at how, with smallies, each additional inch of length adds so significantly to their mass. And their fight.
Got a total of 7 bass, smallest was 11". He looked tiny; the same fish that would have been the fish of the day for me at times, and still will be on future trips, I'm sure. Being the perennial optimist, I want to believe that the larger 22+" fish is still there (and even exists), and I will definitely be going back next overcast day, but honestly, at this point, I'm very grateful that the smallest, closest waters we fish can at times be the best.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:11 am • # 7 

Good for you Brent. I'd love to get into some 18 inch smalls no matter what weight rod.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply