It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:25 am • # 1 

This was a good 3 minute fight. Very happy with the little rod and the Piscifun Sword 2 reel.

Rod and a size 8 crazy charlie with a very sparse SF Flash Olive wing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:44 pm • # 2 

Beautiful fish!

Where were you fishing?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:45 pm • # 3 

strummer wrote:
Beautiful fish!

Where were you fishing?
Very close to my home. In the north of Puerto Rico.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 pm • # 4 

awesome :applause :applause :applause

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 pm • # 5 

Thanks for sharing this with us. I wondered if anyone had ever done this before.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:38 pm • # 6 

Hobie1dog wrote:
Thanks for sharing this with us. I wondered if anyone had ever done this before.

I came along this article after publishing my first 1wt bonefish. So yes, it has been done before. This fellow did it with a clicker reel, I use one with drag. How would it be on a 0wt? I'll probably find out someday, bonefish are close enough to my home to experiment with.

https://www.aardvarkmcleod.com/blog/everything-comes-to-those-who-1-wt/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 pm • # 7 

roblepl,
I am sorry, but I am going to have to revoke your fun permit for the rest of the year. You have grossly exceeded the amount of fun anyone should have in a short period of time.

Joking aside, congratulations on your 1 weight catches. :applause :applause :applause

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 pm • # 8 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
roblepl,
I am sorry, but I am going to have to revoke your fun permit for the rest of the year. You have grossly exceeded the amount of fun anyone should have in a short period of time.

Joking aside, congratulations on your 1 weight catches. :applause :applause :applause

Larry

Thanks Larry! hahaha

It's been 80% frustration, 20% fun. I have had issues with my leaders, knots and technique. Everything has to be perfect to go ghost-busting these rockets! Very rocky bottom that will slice the leader in one second, poor blood knots that open mid fight, loop to loop connections that break, tangled lines zig zagging through the rocks... you name it.

Took me a while to think like if it was an 8wt on my hands and lift that rod as high as possible to clear the rocks no matter how bent it got. In ultralight we rely a lot on drag to avoid breaking rods but, with bones if you plan to get your hands on them... you better lift that rod as high as possible. Just remember to set the drag to put pressure but, preserving the rod. It is a balance that takes a while get the hang of.

I am getting better but, still is mostly misses than hits... for now. I'm hitting the water tomorrow morning before work. Hope I can post a picture update later. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:08 pm • # 9 

I’m a TFO guy, but have been eyeing that same rod for a couple months now. Your post made me pull the trigger and order the combo complete with reel, line and backing for a whopping $69 off of eBay. Not to concerned about the reel and line really. I will eventually replace it probably with a Redington Zero 2/3 and a Orvis Superfine WF1F. Would greatly appreciate any thoughts/reviews on the rod. It will mostly be used for bluelineing the creeks chasing little natives in VA. But I have been known to pick up some larger smallmouth in the 14-16” range.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:14 pm • # 10 

The rod is tough and Very very light compared to my 2wt Pro TFO.

It doesn't shoot 1wt line that well, put on a 2wt line and it's a whole different setup.

I can shoot 42 feet easy (3 false casts) using a size 6 crazy charlie with bead chain eyes and a 9 feet leader.

I can easily lift line 20 feet out, haul and shoot fly 10 feet forward in a single cast.

It has stopped 3 or 4 bonefish, what else do you want from it? hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:21 pm • # 11 

Congrats on your catch ! I think that’s awesome !
My 6’ MaxCatch 2wt showed up today . I too paired it with a Sword 3/4 reel . I’ve only lawn cast it but it’s seems to need to be overlined a little to get the rod to working . Will be trying it out on some small bluegills hopefully tomorrow. Who knows , maybe a LM will grab my fly and I can close my eyes and imagine I’m on the coast fighting a nice bonefish . Gillchaser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:06 pm • # 12 

Lol, put a 3wt line in it and watch it shoot like a rocket.

Hope you get some LM to bite. Keep us posted.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:04 pm • # 13 

Awesome!

---
How To Make Fishing Lures - Great Bonus Ebooks: https://bit.ly/2w5jCtB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:13 pm • # 14 

gillchaser wrote:
Congrats on your catch ! I think that’s awesome !
My 6’ MaxCatch 2wt showed up today . I too paired it with a Sword 3/4 reel . I’ve only lawn cast it but it’s seems to need to be overlined a little to get the rod to working . Will be trying it out on some small bluegills hopefully tomorrow. Who knows , maybe a LM will grab my fly and I can close my eyes and imagine I’m on the coast fighting a nice bonefish . Gillchaser

We are waiting for the pictures. :)

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply