It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:17 pm • # 1 

Built up an UL spin/fly outfit with an RDP 6'6 2wt blank the other week.
Decided to use microwave guides for this build, and while I was initially worried about the running guides being too small for fly line to pass through, it turned out great. It even works on my shooting head rig, given I shrink wrap the loop to loop connections.
The rod weighs in at about 2.1oz and feels nimble. I was considering using the 7'6" 1wt blank as I wanted to throw lighter lures, but given the slower tip and cumbersome length, I opted for the more compact 2wt. After doing the ERN, it dials in at around 26 pennies, giving it an ERN of about 2.82 or so.
After having taken it out a few times, I can honestly say that I'm glad that I stuck with the 2wt. The shorter stick paired with the stiffer tip makes casting accuracy much easier to manage. I have experimented with spinning reels on 1wt rods and find that the the slow tip can make it harder to obtain the accuracy I need.
Anyway, I took the rod out today for a little bike-fishing excursion along my local river. I paired it with a bailess Daiwa 500c spooled with 6lb Nanofil which is connected to 2.5' of 4lb test mono leader. Tied on a red Trout Magnet and it does pretty well with it. Not sure what constitutes as a good casting distance for trout magnets, but I can get around 35-40 feet consistently on this rig. If anyone has any experience with these trout magnets, feel free to comment on your experiences with them and how well they cast.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:32 pm • # 2 

I have 3 RDPs and love them , 2, 1wts and an Owt . Mine came in at 2.4 and 2.7 but they are all 7'6" and I epoxied the handle on the O wt . I may disassemble one of the 1wts and make a spin , fly out of it . What size guides did you use ?

I also have some the 1/200 oz trout magnet kit and while they are easy for me to cast , I don't have confidence in them and I've never caught anything on them .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:52 pm • # 3 

That is a Microwave guide set he used on that. It is still quite capable of being used as a fly rod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:41 pm • # 4 

SWCR wrote:
That is a Microwave guide set he used on that. It is still quite capable of being used as a fly rod

I'm not familiar with them . What size do they come in or are they all the same ? I have a 6' 2/3WT S glass I just built but havent epoxied the guides yet . Perhaps it would make a Spin/Fly combo ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:52 pm • # 5 

jangles wrote:
SWCR wrote:

I'm not familiar with them . What size do they come in or are they all the same ? I have a 6' 2/3WT S glass I just built but havent epoxied the guides yet . Perhaps it would make a Spin/Fly combo ?

They're all the same, you adjust the guide placement depending on where the reel is being placed. Can't tell whether they actually cast further than normal guides as I would have to make another rod to test that, but it does cast nicely.

I'd say that if you were planning on doing more spinning than fly fishing with this build, I'd go for them. The guides choke the line within 2 guides and the rest are running guides. The running guides, while small, are really low profile which makes it easier to cast fly line. I've found that with the conventional cone of flight system, fly line tends to slap around too much making for poorer feedback from the rod and line.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:06 pm • # 6 

I thought I saw them on Mudhole with different size running guides . Do you know what yours measure inside diameter ? I have one build I'd like to do an agate for a stripper and micros for running guides . Thx. Ron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:03 pm • # 7 

They sell as a set, and you can buy additional running guides for the set. If you are going to use an agate, then any insert style micro guide will be sufficient. whether it be A/T, CRB, PacBay Alps, Forcast, etc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:31 pm • # 8 

I see that Roger . I measured some number 1/0 single foot guides and they came out about 4.5 mm ID. The largest Micro I see listed are around 3mm ID . On a 6' 2/3 wt fiberglass can I get away with a 7mm ID stripper and then run it with the 3mm Micros ? As a fly rod only ? TIA
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:57 pm • # 9 

Thanks for sharing this with us. .highly envious.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply