It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Decembrr. Not a typo.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:55 am • # 1 

There are chores. There are always chores. But, if you get out early enough, you can be home in time to get some chores done. A pressure tank has failed, so there is no water pumping into my house. But that can wait. I'm on vacation, there's no need to shower.

Rain caused the canals to rise, so I opted for the sports complex ponds. Man, the pickleballers were out in droves. See, in Florida, you don't mark the seasons by the changing colors of leaves. You can tell it's winter when the license plates take on different colors. Snowbirds.

I also encountered some other tourists, who, like the pickleballers, didn't notice that I was there!

(not so) big

(not so) bigger

(kinda) biggest

Even though it was probably too cold for them, I drove over to the cichlid spot. It used to look like this

Now it looks like this. R.I.P.

I kinda fell asleep. The tank hasn't been replaced. It got too cold last night to fish this morning, so that's on the agenda today.

Last edited by strummer on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:26 am • # 2 

Does that colder weather make for less gators? Looks like it has not affected the bass....great pics. Hopefully just a pressure switch on the well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:02 pm • # 3 

I like your concept of balancing fly fishing with other tasks.
True work/life balance.
Work is static,like in the case of your water pump: the pump will be broke tomorrow and you can fix it then; it's not going away.
But wild life is in fluid motion with circumstance changing constantly with tide, wind, weather in general and migration/feeding patterns.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:52 pm • # 4 

joe the plumber wrote:
Does that colder weather make for less gators? Looks like it has not affected the bass....great pics. Hopefully just a pressure switch on the well.

Actually, the gators come out and sun themselves during the warmest times of the day, so you'll see a lot more this time of year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:14 pm • # 5 

Yes gators , yum . I love gator nuggets . Nice fish but I don't eat fish .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:08 am • # 6 

Dunno if it makes'em any more scarce...it doesn't make'em any smaller.

This one made Fox news, and was bagged in my county. I am no fan of great big lizards that are holdovers from the dinosaur era with great big teeth, not so big brains, and a skewed perception of their place on the food chain. Truth.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/girthy- ... y-trappers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:55 am • # 7 

WOW! I'd like to see that one in person!

I see more in the winter time due to the fact they come out to sun themselves for warmth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:51 am • # 8 

Del Gue wrote:
Dunno if it makes'em any more scarce...it doesn't make'em any smaller.

This one made Fox news, and was bagged in my county. I am no fan of great big lizards that are holdovers from the dinosaur era with great big teeth, not so big brains, and a skewed perception of their place on the food chain.

:lol I liked your 'scarce vs. smaller' analysis.

(my guess is that he has a very accurate perception of his place in the food chain ;) One of those rare occasions where two apex predators take turns eating each other. I like gator nuggets, too, but I'd still hate to lose my 'nuggets' to a hungry gator)

Not my idea of an ideal swimming companion, either. But you gotta admire a creature that has been around relatively unchanged for about 200 million years. I have a feeling they'll be here long after we've engineered our own extinction.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:03 am • # 9 

I don't "see"as many around here during winter....they are still there..somewhere,but it gives me that false sense of security in a kayak :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:51 pm • # 10 

Every year down here there's a story or two or three about somebody losing a hand or an arm or getting killed by one. Sometimes it's golfers trying to get a ball out of the water. Any golf course with a water hazard down here can be assumed to have gator(s) in it. Whenever I used to go fishing with my brother in his jon boat I used to take gator repellant. Myakka River State Park has gators beyond belief. It's said that during mating season after dark you could walk across the lake on the backs of gators and never get your feet wet. If you take a light out there at night and shine it on the lake all you see is eyes...lots, and Lots, and LOTS of eyes. There are supposedly 1-2 MILLION gators in Florida. Why we need that many critters that can maim and kill people here is beyond me. They wind up in people's garages and driveways. Dogs and cats disappear.

Like I said...I'm not a fan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:41 pm • # 11 

Del Gue wrote:
Every year down here there's a story or two or three about somebody losing a hand or an arm or getting killed by one. Sometimes it's golfers trying to get a ball out of the water. Any golf course with a water hazard down here can be assumed to have gator(s) in it. Whenever I used to go fishing with my brother in his jon boat I used to take gator repellant. Myakka River State Park has gators beyond belief. It's said that during mating season after dark you could walk across the lake on the backs of gators and never get your feet wet. If you take a light out there at night and shine it on the lake all you see is eyes...lots, and Lots, and LOTS of eyes. There are supposedly 1-2 MILLION gators in Florida. Why we need that many critters that can maim and kill people here is beyond me. They wind up in people's garages and driveways. Dogs and cats disappear.

Like I said...I'm not a fan.

I'd like to have them for the moat I'm digging at the mexican border .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:17 pm • # 12 

Dig the moat. Fill it with big green lizards. Put a fence on this side of the moat. Lizards keep unauthorized two-legged visitors out...fence keeps lizards out. I'm down fore it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:20 pm • # 13 

Well, you got me curious, and I have some time on my hands because it actually IS cold where I am. Any water turned to ice long ago. :eek
Anyway, I've fished in South Carolina several times, and have interacted with gators, including accidentally hooking a 5' one on a fly that apparently caught his interest. And having done a little herpetological work during my working career, I have a bit of an interest, even a fondness for reptiles. So, all this gator talk got me intrigued, and I looked into alligator attacks in Florida. Here's what I found (surprised me, too):

Since 1948, there have been 401 documented gator attacks in Florida, of which 23 were fatalities. From the brink of extinction, the gator population is now estimated at between 1 million and 1.25 million animals. Research into the rate of increase in attacks shows the closest correlation is not to the rate of gator population increase but to the human population increase in florida. Mind you, I gotta think if you're a wading/shoreline angler or a swimmer, you are substantially boosting your odds of finding your way into those statistics.
My guess is that you are at far greater risk from Florida's other apex predator. Homicides appear to run at about 1000 per year, and automobile deaths at about 2500 to 3000 per year.
I know what you mean, though. The whole time I'm pond fishing in the south, I'm keeping an eye on the gators I can see, and scanning the water and shoreline for the ones I haven't seen. And i have a southern no-wading policy, too. Here at home, I live, worked and fish in bear country, and cannot say that I give them anywhere near as much thought as I do those gators. :lol
brent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:11 pm • # 14 

yep....i have accidentally caught one as well....i really liked that rod.....if i fish topwater frogs i get too much interest from small gators.....slime dogs and expensive rods do not play well together.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:29 pm • # 15 

Let's look at it this way. 67 counties in FL. 1,000,000+ gators. Then look at the population of FL. Additionally, from 1988 until 1999 on average there was one gator attack every 3 years. From 2000 to 2016 there were 7 attacks PER YEAR.

Bears may not worry you so much, but if there were over a million bears in your state, you'd prolly worry more.

If there are so many gators that wading to freshwater fish in FL is dangerous, then there's too many gators.

As for the homicide rate in FL, it's outta control. My county has seen up to 5 homicides in one week. Doubles have become nothing unusual.

Statistics may say there is only x number of homicides per 100,000 people, or x number of gator attacks per 100,000 people, but those numbers aren't so comforting if you're one of those x's.

Apologies for the rant. In 3 yrs I'm moving to Montana after i retire and the gators can have this state.

Those were nice bass, by the way.☺

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:49 pm • # 16 

Del Gue wrote:
Let's look at it this way. 67 counties in FL. 1,000,000+ gators. Then look at the population of FL. Additionally, from 1988 until 1999 on average there was one gator attack every 3 years. From 2000 to 2016 there were 7 attacks PER YEAR.

Bears may not worry you so much, but if there were over a million bears in your state, you'd prolly worry more.

If there are so many gators that wading to freshwater fish in FL is dangerous, then there's too many gators.

As for the homicide rate in FL, it's outta control. My county has seen up to 5 homicides in one week. Doubles have become nothing unusual.

Statistics may say there is only x number of homicides per 100,000 people, or x number of gator attacks per 100,000 people, but those numbers aren't so comforting if you're one of those x's.

Apologies for the rant. In 3 yrs I'm moving to Montana after i retire and the gators can have this state.

Those were nice bass, by the way.☺

Well said Del , but you left one thing out . The people getting murdered generally arent out fly fishing and are usually involved with some type of illegal behavior just like here .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:26 pm • # 17 

Sometimes. Not always. The night desk clerk and security guy at the resort...the mother and her baby at the apartment complex...the dead aren't all drug dealers and gang members.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:09 am • # 18 

jangles wrote:
The people getting murdered .... are usually involved with some type of illegal behavior just like here .

Now THAT's an interesting observation. Are there any statistics to support that?

Del Gue: VERY interesting point on the bear population. We in New Brunswick, Canada have about 30,000 bears and a population of humans around 750,000, so four bears for every 100 people. Florida has about 20,000,000 people, so five alligators for every 100 people.
But Florida has 354 people per square mile; we have only 27 people per square mile. We, like the bears, are very spread out.(maybe that's why we don't tend to shoot each other ;) ) Besides, our bears are generally human-shy: I've encountered many bears over the years, and have been threatened only once (sow with three cubs). In my limited time fishing the south, I've had at least a dozen of those toothy grinning dinosaurs swim right up and stare at me. Do you suppose they're still bitter about all those boots and belts? :lol
brent

Last edited by wheezeburnt on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:27 am • # 19 

Brent,
Your bears are a lot harder to find than our alligators. And our alligators are not shy or reticent at all.

Ref the homicides, the observation, at least as far as it relates to my AO, is mostly correct. A lot of the homicides are drug or gang related. Scumbags killing scumbags. The two at the resort were killed by a former employee during a robbery. The mother and child were killed by the mother's boyfriend, who killed the mother, then set the apartment on fire. I never heard for sure, but my guess is the baby died of smoke inhalation. The firefighters were shook up over that one. But the majority of the murders are in da hood, during drug events or gang bangers or driveby's. That does not make the county any more pleasant to live in. For multiple reasons, if I go out and get into my Jeep, I'm carrying. Knife, O/C, and pistol are the order of the day. Our county seat has about 55k people, maybe a little more. The place I'm lookin' at in Montana is also the county seat, but only has about 5k people. Much smaller town, much better demographics, much less crime...just a much better place, and one I'll be content to live out the rest of my years in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 pm • # 20 

Didn't mean to 'jack your thread. Prolly time to get it back to fish and fishing and away from all of this depressing talk.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply