It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:06 pm • # 1 

hi, guys,
my name is Kestutis, i'm 28 years old fly fisherman from Norway, i call myself fly fisherman, because i fall in love with fly fishing for over 3 years now.
Was mostly fly fishing for trout, dry fly. My rod : JJH Thriumph 6wt bamboo rod.
it wasn't wery good for my fishing conditions last summer, so now i am here in this forum reaching for help to build my first ultralight fly rod for fishing small flies, little lakes or small rivers, streams for brown trout.
i was thinking to order materials from mudhole, but maybe there is other good sellers that i can get shipped to Norway?

and the main question:
what rod blank should i pick?
what is your favourite one?
i am new to fly fishing, had only 3 seasons, tried just couple of rods.
i am good at flie tying and handcrafting, so i believe i can build a nice rod, so that's why i want to build my own rather than buying one.
and i would like to build a quality rod, so i more expensive blank welcome.
please give me good one to build

sorry for my English, it is not my first language.

looking forward for your replies,

Kestutis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:33 am • # 2 

Kestutis - If you ask 10 different people on this forum what their favorite rod blank is, you'll get 10 different answers. If you want to build an UL rod, by definition on this forum that's 3wt or under. A 3wt will be the most versatile in this category. For high quality (and high priced) blanks, Sage TXL-F 7'10" 3wt or Sage Circa 7'9" 3wt would be two good possibilities. If you want a longer UL high quality blank, the Winston BIIx or BIIIx 8'6" 3wt is very good and can be fished with either a 3wt or 4wt line. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting one shipped to you. But for a first build, it might be risky to spend that much on a blank because it usually takes a few builds to build up your skill and confidence. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 pm • # 3 

You should really enjoy the experience, but I agree that you want to start with an inexpensive rod. You might also start with a bigger rod, maybe a 5 or 6 weight. I started with a 6 , just to get the idea of what I was doing. The 2 weight was much more delicate to handle, but the experience of the larger rods made it much easier. Good luck.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply