It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:13 am • # 1 

Am new to the forum but thought I'd share a build I've just completed for a 5'6" 0 weight glass rod. The finished rod comes in at 67 grammes which was less than I'd expected. Rod is finished with YLI silk and an agate stripping guide to match.

The blank was commissioned as a special one off from CTS in New Zealand who produce some beautiful blanks to my mind and I use them, or Kabuto, as the mainstay of my glass rod builds.

The project was entitled the Grim Reaper which was the choice of my client but the name really grew on me.

The good lady wife put together the rod bag which was very good of her and I think sets off the rod nicely. Can't wait to see how the rod performs on the water - it's off on a long journey to Tasmania where I hear the fishing is amazing!

Interested in your feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:40 pm • # 2 

Thanks for posting the pics of that rod. It's very refreshing to see that someone is building blanks in glass that are so light. It's a one-off from a builder in New Zealand, right?

Are you in New Zealand or Australia? And I was wondering what kind of finish you used. It looks like an epoxy or PU, but varnish is more usual with silk, and it's quite nice how silk becomes translucent when wetted out.

Also, do you know what line matches it?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:09 pm • # 3 

PampasPete,

You are right that the blank is from CTS in New Zealand and it is for a 0 weight line. I built it for a customer in Tasmania although I am based in Moscow myself. It's a fairly international project as I sourced the cork from Portugal and the guides from the U.S. :)

I used yacht varnish on the guide wraps - 10 coats with a 1200grit sanding between each and only doing one coat per day to get it like that.

I shipped it to my customer today and he promised to share feedback and photos with fish ;) I will share it here.

Chris
Gouldfish Rods

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:02 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Chris,
Nice build, and I'm very impressed with your work.

When you get a chance go to the welcome forum and tell us more about you.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:44 pm • # 5 

Les - will do. And thanks for the kind words.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:20 pm • # 6 

Very nice well done a very clean and tidy build will be good to here how it fishes cheers

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply