It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Varnish "blisters"?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:33 pm • # 1 

Recently I stumbled over a used Powell Timax graphite fly rod. This rod has proven to have tiny milk-like " blisters" over its shaft length in the varnish. These blisters don't appear to cause any harm, but I would like to know if you folks think this is repairable. What say you? Thanks...

Post subject: Re: Varnish "blisters"?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:04 pm • # 2 

Not knowing how that line of Powell rods was finished, it's hard to be sure, but I'd be very surprised if it's varnish. Old varnish doesn't lift like that anyway. It dries and shrinks and checks. If the rod is unpainted graphite, it was probably finished with some type of epoxy or urethane clear coat, which may explain the milky appearance of the bubbles. If the finish has lost its adhesion and is lifting, the only cure may be to strip the entire thing, polish it out, and refinish with something like U-40 Permagloss. Epoxy rod finish might work if you could keep it from sagging while drying (Permagloss is recoatable in an hour, and is sag free in about 5 minutes, so it's much easier to control). It's a lot of careful work, though, especially considering the re-wrap job that follows refinishing. Maybe others will offer better options.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply