It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Bamboo wall hangers
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:37 pm • # 1 

Well when I went up to Oregon a few months ago to see the folks. After the visit and my busted fishing trip, before heading out the door back to Colorado, the old man tosses me a old cardboard tube. Low and behold when I opened it up there was 6 pieces of bamboo in it. I say six pieces because at the time I couldn't tell if it was a complete rod or not. As it turned out three of the pieces turned out to be my great grandfathers 9' Montague Rapidan rod. Four of the guides at one point or another had fallen off, rewrapped and still present. Cork is dry and pretty much crumbling. Reel seat appears to be all metal down locking. The tip and middle section have a pretty good bend in it. Varnish is in very good shape and the cane doesn't appear to be splitting. This one may be fishable if I can steam it straight again, rewrap the guides and turn a new handle for it. I'll post pictures before I start any repairs and after as well.

The second 3 pieces I have no idea what the were a part of. All three were different lengths, no guides, grip or real seat. No varnish and the lower to sections were split, and no markings at all. However it did have 2 sets of ferules sitting in the bottom of the tube. Since I had no idea what it was and the condition of it I just jumped into starting some repairs. Started out sanding, planning it down. I glued the splits back up and zip tied it while the glue dried. Lightly planed again to get rid of all the glue the squeezed out. applied three coats of spar varnish to it. Epoxied the ferules on. Basically with the three different length sections and the splits I'm just going to hang this one on the wall.

Wife went in for her third surgery on her ankle last Friday, so no fishing for me. Decided to work a little more on the wall hanger. It has turned out pretty good so far applied another three coats of spar varnish on it, guides and tip top Wrapped it all up. just need to get a reel seat and gripe on order for it. Ill take some pictures of both in the morning and get them uploaded.

Since I will be homeward bound for the next week, I have several other projects that I will get posted. Three more knives and my Aspen wading staff courtesy of my last fishing trip on upper Beaver creek.

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply