It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: My 1st redo or build
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:21 pm • # 1 

I was walking through BassPro down the aisles of spinning rods to get some hooks, some bright yellow rods caught my eye, thought they were Eagle Claws. The short ones on the end were sagging in the rack with a belly, I picked it up, a BassPro MicroLite Glass 5 foot spinning rod with an amazing action.
At 20 bucks I took one home and straight to the creek with a spinning reel loaded with two pound line and a JA Forbes loaded with a two weight line. The rod did just mediocre with the spinning reel, and my first hand sized bluegill was easily controlled with the butt of the rod. I expected the fish to have it's way with the whippy rod, but such was not the case.
I switched reels and it was a bit awkward where to put my hand with the fly reel mounted on it, ended up behind the reel. I peeled off a bunch of line and began casting. I was dumbfounded at the ease with which this rod threw such tight loops and wrangled the two weight line with such a magic touch, soft or hard, fast or slow, I had so much control, so accurate. Roll casting with the rod made me look like a pro.
I just had to know if this was a fluke, so I stripped the spinning guides off, gave it a light sanding and painted it a Ijuin lime green, used some wine bottle corks for the grip, borrowed the snake guides and reel seat from a rod I found in someones trashcan. Currently I have the guides taped on to figure out the spacing. I have not done an ERN on the rod, but lawn casting it this evening again with the 2 wt line it was even better than as tested before.
This is the first attempt at a rod build I have made, and I am very pleased with my results so far.
I challenge some you more proficient builders to get a hold of one of these blanks or pick up the spinning rod and make a top quality UL flyrod to see if you get the same results.
I have the 5 foot one piece, the two piece longer rods seemed a hair stiffer.

Post subject: Re: My 1st redo or build
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:07 am • # 2 

Pretty clever, if you ask me! Did you cut off the end behind the reel seat, and just take a wine or champagne cork and use it for the butt? I've got a couple Eagle Claw ultralight spinning rods that I might try that with.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:35 pm • # 3 

I turned the reel seat around , made an up locking seat a down locking seat, and mated the butt cork to the cork under the reel seat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:58 am • # 4 

After reading this post about turning a Bass Pro Mico Lite spinning rod into a fly rod I had to give it a try. So I bought one, stripped the guides and paint, bought a hand wrapper and read a little on the subject. And this is the result of my first build. It's nothing fancy but it cast a Dt3 wt with ease...and I am more than happy. Cant wait to get in the High Sierras and try it out on brookies

pb-img ... cpt8qc.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 pm • # 5 

Excellent post. Thanks.like to see a full length pic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:56 pm • # 6 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:53 pm • # 7 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:22 pm • # 8 

This was a fun little project....it's very plain..nothing fancy but the guys in the fly shop was impressed with it. They were getting 25-30 foot cast with both wf2wt and wf3wt lines yesterday with a little wind. In fact one bought every last one left on the rack afterwards
It is 5 feet long with 5 single foot guides + and a small loop tip top, and a size 8 stripper guide. I have only been fly fishing for a year...still very new ..and learning
but it has been a fun ride doing so. I started tying some of my own flies...the ones I can see.. lol... and rod building just seamed like a great past time.
I'm a custom bowyer...( custom youth and young adult longbows) www.Mokelumneriverlongbows.com and needed a hobby for the slow season other than building more bows,making bowstring and arrows...lol...I think I have found it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm • # 9 

Yeah. It's impossible to only build one...

Nice work!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:26 pm • # 10 

Nice builds guys , welcome to the club . I built my 1st one about a year ago and now have over 30 builds . Most haven't even been fished .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:08 pm • # 11 

this is my first post. i saw this and had to comment. if any of you that posted pics to this thread could reload you pics it would be appreciated.

i just did this very thing last week. put my reel on a 5' ugly stik and was amazed at how well it cast with 4wt line. i will be doing a few of these over winter.

how did you get the reel seat off without damaging it? is there a solution to dissolve the epoxy?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:21 pm • # 12 

Wildcat wrote:
how did you get the reel seat off without damaging it? is there a solution to dissolve the epoxy?

Cover the handle with a plastic bag and put it in boiling water to soften the epoxy.

Or use a heat gun. Video is part of a series by Proof Flyfishing, which is an awesome source for rod building supplies...

https://youtu.be/5C333KpsI4o

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 am • # 13 

strummer wrote:
Cover the handle with a plastic bag and put it in boiling water to soften the epoxy.

Or use a heat gun. Video is part of a series by Proof Flyfishing, which is an awesome source for rod building supplies...

https://youtu.be/5C333KpsI4o

thank you!!! i know what i will be doing this weekend.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply