It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:37 pm • # 1 

I ever dreamed about a telescopic short ultralight fly rod. easy to transport, few seconds to close, few seconds to open. And the fly can remain there, ready to use.
But I never found an ultralight telescopic fly rod and those in commerce (in Italy), too long and too heavy for me, cost a bang.

Then I decided to build one and the result is not bad!
I bought on ebay a chinese telescopic travel rod, about 12 euro shipped (I will put below in another post the address: if you don't find it it means that admins deleted it. Ask me in private message if you want the link).
It is a 12 feet telescopic rod, closed it's 40 centimeters; I used only the last 5 pieces, to obtain a 6,6" rod. If you want a little longer one you can use the last 6 pieces (231 cm, 31,05 grams).
For the last 5 that I used these are the measures:
197 centimeters (cm), 22,92 grams, butt 0,92 cm, tip 0,092 cm, ern #3, AA about 70.
The ern seems too high, but in real this rod works perfect for a #2 line: in fact this is not a conventional progressive rod, being telescopic it is more and more rigid to the butt and in addition the tip is very thin compared to traditional fly rods.
A pic explain it better.

As you can see the tip is very flexible and the other parts are more and more rigid: it can be considered a fast rod who works perfectly with a #2. I tried it with my DT-2-F Ultra 2 Mastery and it's easy to cast until 40 feet of line out + 8/10 feet of leader. But until 30" it's really pleasant and easy to cast. It's fast then if you are accustomed to slow / moderate rods you need 15/30 minutes to understand the perfect timing. But if I found it I think that everybody can.

I built it with a little smaller rings compared to usual rings, but they work pretty well. The tip top is a little smaller that usual then you need reduce the knots between the leader and the line or use cast connectors or other tricks, if you use leaders longer that 6/7 feet.
Only the first ring is sliding and mounted on a small piece of rod.
The hook retainer is self made, like the handle and the reel seat and I used 2 couples of O-rings for the reel.
The result is a 48 grams rod, about 46 cm who stay in a backpack, easy to transport and easy to use, in particular in small rivers. And very cheap.
The cons for me is that with the fish (I captured a couple of 30 cm trouts when I tried it) is not so "pleasant" like a more progressive rod: in last times I tend to use more and more light rods and more and more light lines and since is very difficult that I catch fishes more that 35/40 cm I love feel them...I'm a little addicted to ultra-ultra light rods, to how I "feel" the fish. But for a "normal" use I think it's not a "con".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:48 pm • # 2 

I bought it in UK
this is the link http://www.ebay.it/itm/221844854674?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:37 pm • # 3 

Thank you for a very interesting build report. Nice for a back pack or car carry for emergency fishing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:47 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Interesting - nice build. can't wait to see when you have a fishing report.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:07 pm • # 5 

I fished with it, but in last times I am a little too "extreme", then I used a triple 0 sage qdt and it's not the best with it, like other rods that I own. I captured a couple of 30cm trouts, as I said, but I didn't feel them like with other more progressive rods that I own, like the AmTack 662-2 or the PacBay 793-2 that I transformed in a 6,6" light #2 cutting the butt.
It is a fine rod to fish, if you like fast rods a little stiff close to the butt.

Today I tested it with a friend and it broken about 2 cm under the tip. I don't know how, maybe I bumped it. I repaired it and now it's ok, but anyway the tip is really very very thin and delicate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:23 pm • # 6 

You transformed a tenkara rod into a western fly rod. The tip section are very fragile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:47 pm • # 7 

That's a nice build that goes against the conventional wisdom going aroud nowadays, which says that it's impractical to convert tenkara-type rods to use with convetional reels and lines.

I built one of those a couple years ago on a 180 cm. telescoping rod. Whether it actually is a tenkara, seiryu or keiryu, I honestly don't know. But it's a bit shorter than the one you built at 5'9", with an ERN of 0.61, which makes it balance with a 34-grain line. For me, getting a suitable line proved to be th trickiest part! I never checked the action angle, but like you say, it is a fast action. And it is a lot of fun to fish with.

I initially had some misgivings about the tip being so thin. but it is made of solid fiberglass, so it may be tougher than it first appears. If anyone is interested, there is a database with some CCS info on similar rods at: http://www.tenkarabum.com/common-cents-database.html

Although it may seem unusual, I think this type of build is worth exploring a bit more. In fact, a few days ago I bought a 3-meter rod that may also be converted in some way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:55 pm • # 8 

In fact it can be considered a kind of more "stiff" tenkara, but shorter that a usual tenkara and used with reel and fly line.

I'm making some very interesting experiments with very thin tips not used in traditional fly blanks: they are used in tenkara too, but not only. They are solid carbon tips, not rolled sheet, and this consent tips a lot more thin: about 2/64 inch. , 0,8mm. I'm using for my tests one 500mm long and one 700mm tip. I'm making 3 pieces "traditional" rods, a lot more progressives that telescopic, using the butts of my rods and the results are really interesting making rods who work with #0, #1 and #2 lines. Another pro using these tips is that the action is pretty fast and that is possible make even short rods (5', 6', 7') so light. I will publish in this board the results of some tests.
Here you can see some of these tips that I find in Italy: as you can see they can be very cheap and consent the construction of ultralight and new action rods, even traditional, not telescopic.
http://www.tognipesca.com/cimini.html
http://www.tatfishing.com/nsct.html
And here some traditional rolled tips that, cut, can be used like second piece in a 3 pieces rod (in real I used some pieces cut and scraps that a shop owner from my parts donated me):
http://www.tatfishing.com/kcim,-elct,-34c.html

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply