It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:24 am • # 1 

Preamble:
I am not a master caster and I am not a master builder. The only UL rods that I tried are: the "vintage" Orvis ultrafine 7,9 #2; Sage rpl 8,6 #2; American Tackle Matrix 6,6 #2, 2 pieces; Batson Rainshadow rx8 6,6 #2, 4 pieces; and the Pacific Bay Rainforest2 7,9 #3, 2 pieces, with the butt reduced to make a 6,6 #2.

I was looking to a shorter UL rod in the 5 feet range and since the Pac Bay and the Amtack have the same tip butt section I made a short butt long 47 centimetres (effectives 44 excluding the part who enter in the tip) using some spare parts of broken rods that a gentle shopper donated me. I tried to buy the butt section of the pacbay before but the european dealer in Germany never replied to my email where I asked them if it was possible have the butt section only.

Btw I made a correct butt, who was closer as possible to the action of the original butt section and I built it: to do it I needed simply find one with the correct tip section and, since it was a little softer that the original, I reinforced it gluing inside another piece of rod who adapted to his section.
This is the result:

I obtained 2 different rods:

With the tip of the Pac Bay a 5 and 6, 165cm, 43 grams, ern 1,20, AA 60;
with the tip of the AmTack a 4 and 10, 146cm, 40 grams, ern 1,86, AA 57.

The 2 rods are really different in action: the pac bay has a very thin tip (in real a 3,0/64) then tend to bend more the tip and be more progressive; the Amtack seems more powerful but it has a more thick tip and tend to bend more in the mid part and to be more parabolic. The result is that the Pacbay is able to cast #1 and #2 lines without any problem in short distances even to 40 feets, and even a little more far that the amtack, who feels better in short distances with the #2 and in long is not so accurate like the pacbay, maybe because it is even a little shorter.
Anyway the PacBay, despite the ern, casts without problems a dt2f, but simply you feel the rod who works more close to the butt that with lighter lines. I think that this is one of the more all round blanks for a UL fly fisher that I had the chance to try.

I tried yesterday on the water the pac bay and it worked very well: perfect loops, not too tight, but correct. I used a wf1f and in spite of the wind it worked correctly.
Unfortunately the water was influenced by melting snow (you see the colour) and I didn't catch fishes: I hope to try it soon with a fish too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:29 am • # 2 

Please, who had the chance co compare the pacbay 793/2 (the 2 pieces rod) in the Tradition2 version and in the Rainforest2 version, who seems identicals except for the im6 and im7 composition, noted significant differences between them?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:21 am • # 3 

A while back you had a thread about solid carbon fiber tips or blanks, and another one about making up ferrules. Were these 2 rods made by using those solid carbon fiber tips? If so, that seems like a very interesting experiment.

I don't really understand what you mean about the tips when you say:
"With the tip of the Pac Bay a 5 and 6, 165cm, 43 grams, ern 1,20, AA 60;
with the tip of the AmTack a 4 and 10, 146cm, 40 grams, ern 1,86, AA 57."

Could you explain that in more detail? Are 165 cm and 146 cm the total lengths of the rods, or just the lengths of the tip sections?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:30 am • # 4 

PampasPete wrote:
A while back you had a thread about solid carbon fiber tips or blanks, and another one about making up ferrules. Were these 2 rods made by using those solid carbon fiber tips? If so, that seems like a very interesting experiment.

I don't really understand what you mean about the tips when you say:
"With the tip of the Pac Bay a 5 and 6, 165cm, 43 grams, ern 1,20, AA 60;
with the tip of the AmTack a 4 and 10, 146cm, 40 grams, ern 1,86, AA 57."

Could you explain that in more detail? Are 165 cm and 146 cm the total lengths of the rods, or just the lengths of the tip sections?

Hello Pete
sorry for the delay in the reply: I didn't see your question.

No the tips I used in this thread are 2 tips in tubular carbon from commercial blanks: one is the tip of the American Tackle Matrix 6,6 #2, one is the tip of the Pacific Bay Rainforest 2 7,9 #3, a little longer and faster that the tip of the Amtack.

And I made the butt that I describe in this thread with a piece of tubular tapered carbon fiber, then I used the same butt with those 2 different tips, that has the same ferrule size:
- one is the tip of the Amtack 6,6 #2, in this case the rod (tip amtack + the new butt I made and I describe here) is 146 cm;
- one is the tip of the packbay 7,9 #3 and the total lenght of the rod with this butt is 165 cm.

What I wanted share is that if you want a short rod and can't find a blank so short (like happened to me), making a new shorter butt using pieces of rods that everybody can find, everybody can use tips of other longer rods to make shorter rods with few effort and bucks.

Roberto

p.s. This can be considered a consequence of this thread
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=10819
, the other threads about solid carbon are other topics.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply