It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:49 am • # 1 

As I wrote in other posts about solid carbon is possible find tips in solid carbon , ice fishing rods blanks and not tapered rods and tubes, in model making hobby market, for few euro and I think they can be great to make ultralight flyfishing rods.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=10826
And now I finally have some real results about it.

I used 4 tips to make several experiments:
1) tip solid carbon 0,8mm tip, 2,4mm butt, long 70cm (4 euros);
2) tip solid carbon 0,8mm tip, 2,4mm butt, long 60cm (4 euros);
3) the same of the 1 but with the tip cut 10cm, then 1,0mm tip, 2,4mm butt, long 60cm (4 euros);
4) tip solid carbon 0,9mm, 2,4mm butt long 50cm

A second piece obtained by a tip long 90cm 0,9mm tip, 4,5mm butt that I cut where the thickness was 2,4 and where was 4mm. In this way I obtained the tip 4 (see above) and the second piece 2,4mm to 4mm. The cost of the piece complete 90cm long was about 10 euros.

A butt 66cm long, 4mm thick obtained by a cylinder rod 4mm thick, long 1 meter for kites hobbyists (5,5 euros).

My purpose was obtain an ultralight ultrashort fly rod, pretty fast but ultrasensitive, for 1 and 2 weight fly lines.
And the result is pretty perfect! I never found in commerce something similar.

This is what I made

The purpose of the different tips was find the correct configuration and I found it with the tip n.3 (the one with 3 lines in the butt): for casts long max 40 feet it's an ultrasensitive UL rod, very pleasant to cast and good for the line control. The better compromise for me. I tried it with furled leaders and a WF1F and a DT2F and it's very nice and pleasant. A 4mm butt is a dream: it seems to fish with "nothing" in your hands. I hope to try it soon with fishes, because at the moment the tests was not with real fishes.

About the other tips they change totally the action and the "velocity" of the rod.
Here some numbers:

tip nr:
1) rod long 170cm, ern 0,82, AA 73;
2) rod long 160cm, ern 1,25, AA 76;
3) rod long 160cm, ern 1,5, AA 67;
4) rod long 150, ern 2,23, AA 64.

The nr. 3 despite the ern in 1wt range casts very well a 2wt too 30/40 feet without any problem and remains pretty fast.

I can't wait to try it with a fish.

Cheerio :)

roberto

p.s.
I decided to cover the whole of the reel seat with one money: it is a 5 lire, an old italian money in aluminium-magnesium, then very light, who represent a whale. In Italy whales
are considered lucky charm.

Last edited by zigo on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:10 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:53 am • # 2 

P.s. this is the last experiment. I tried too with a thicker butt, a tube 6mm thick and 4mm inside where another 4mm solid entered and was connected with the second pece. I tried it because I wanted make a rod extensible in length elongating the butt. But the result was a too stiff butt and a too weight rod. If somebody is interested here some pics.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:42 am • # 3 

Some news about my experiment: I tested it with fishes and I was surprise by this material. It's incredibly fine and elastic but at the same time it is even powerful.
I tried the solution with the tip 3/ line wf 1f and with the fishes and I took trouts even about 30/35 cm without any problem. I was afraid that the rod was too few powerful with big fishes but in real it's so elastic that the retrieve was faster that with usual rods.
This is a rod who is perfect for max distances 30 feet, then small streams.

But because it's high elasticity I had a great problem: I forced the rod extracting with my left hand the line, the rod bent too much and I broken one of the ferrules, the one close to the butt.
The reason is simple: the ferrules that I made are in tubular carbon, who is a lot more rigid that solid carbon and the blank bent to much for the tubular carbon ferrule. Then it broke. ( viewtopic.php?f=71&t=10826 )
The solution is: use tubular ferrules more elastic, like in fiber. Tubular fiber is a lot more elastic that tubular carbon and is more appropriate.

I think anyway that this material is very good, in particular for ultralight rods: its strenght and elasticity consent to use very thin sections, good for ultralight, and it consent to make rods more fast and light that fiber.
I hope that soon it will be easier find blanks in this material and cheaper that now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:00 pm • # 4 

Good evening my friend ZIGO sorry my google English and to be cheeky .... but I can give you a tip, because the same thing that you are doing there, I am doing here in Brazil, I want to put something on the market About it .... TIP: To make the seams of the parts you can use tubular carbon fiber rods .... you can buy in ali express or alibaba ......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:19 am • # 5 

gabriel moreira wrote:
Good evening my friend ZIGO sorry my google English and to be cheeky .... but I can give you a tip, because the same thing that you are doing there, I am doing here in Brazil, I want to put something on the market About it .... TIP: To make the seams of the parts you can use tubular carbon fiber rods .... you can buy in ali express or alibaba ......

Gabriel,

Could you give more information about just what you are doing? For example, what materials are you using, and what rods have you made with them?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 pm • # 6 

PampaPeter good afternoon my friend, the wand (prototype) is mixed of carbon fiber and fiberglass, but my intention is to make fiberglass (more flexible) only and will be made exclusively for our '' LAMBARI ''
- The prototype has 140 cm, two parts;
- but: 2.3mm and tip: 0.9mm
- as for the line I'm finishing the drying process and then the test .....
But the wands that I want to customize will be better finished and well done .... still going a few more days to start production ... kkkkkk ... my friend just did not put a picture of what is done because I do not know how to do it if I can Let me explain, I'll do this ....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:50 pm • # 7 

Thanks for the post Zigo and stimulating the follow on discussion. Very interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:02 pm • # 8 

gabriel moreira wrote:
my friend just did not put a picture of what is done because I do not know how to do it if I can Let me explain, I'll do this ....

Gabriel,

It seems that most of the folks here use Photo Bucket. There is some discussion on posting photos here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=10308&hilit=posting+photos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:15 pm • # 9 

thank you my friend PampasPete

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply