It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 1 weight build
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:25 am • # 1 

I'm working on my second build. it's been a while since my last one, but things are progressing.
I'm having difficulty wrapping the 1st guide after the tip due to the blank flexing while wrapping the thread. The tip and first guide location are in the middle of the risers and unsupported. I'd like to see some images of your hand wrappers and how you've managed the flex when the rod section won't reach all the way across both supports.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 1 weight build
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:40 pm • # 2 

This is mine. Jenky, but it works. The Simpson's Guide to life levels the third support when it's on the table.

I'm not sure what your set up is, but having the third support made a huge difference in those situations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:38 pm • # 3 

I decided to go to way too much trouble and the wrapper became a project of its own. I went off some designs I found that have the movable supports, so you can narrow the gap, which I think mostly solves your problem. The rod tip was a challenge for me too but it seemed a lot less critical since you're not wrapping on top of anything. I just pushed it out over the outside edge of one support.

The one thing I hadn't seen anywhere is adjustable height supports. I made it able to match my dryer height, so any of these supports can be used for drying as well, you know, in case I ever build a 20' rod... I can make them match whatever height I need and I'm already glad I did. It was just easier for me to wrap when the rod is level, or even tilt a little to sort of self-stack the wraps as I turned it. I know it's overkill but hey that's how I do stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:33 am • # 4 

I thought a little more and added another eyelet to be able to run the thread closer to one of the risers. Problem solved. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:46 pm • # 5 

When I mount the grip using mesh drywall tape as a filler, should i coat the ENTIRE blank under the grip with tape then epoxy, or place just 3 arbors? It's a very small gap, probably only 1/16".
Would taping the full length affect the grip's flex on a 7'6" 1 weight?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:39 pm • # 6 

Since you are using mesh tape and the gap only being 1/16" I would just one solid spacer on the reel seat portion. Unless you are using a cork reel seat there should be no flex, there by not effecting the action at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:49 pm • # 7 

The cork reel seat fits real well. it's the grip that needs a littlte buildup to make the fit snug.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:23 pm • # 8 

(that's a nice set up, preast!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:26 pm • # 9 

I would still use the full wrap, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:31 am • # 10 

keiths wrote:
The cork reel seat fits real well. it's the grip that needs a littlte buildup to make the fit snug.

You could use D size rod wrapping thread as an arbor for grips or the reel seat. Spiral the thread up and down the blank.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:01 pm • # 11 

All is done. Amazing how much more difficult it is to keep the guides in place on such a thin blank. I guess that's due to less thread around the circumference. Things were only tough with the last two guides near the tip. I may have to redo a couple. They're not quite as in line as they could be.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply