It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Casual builders
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:46 pm • # 1 

For those of you who build occasionally or as a hobby, what do you do with your builds? Keep some or all, give them away, or sell them off?

I got into this too deep when I went to build a specific rod I wanted to customize. Now I want to build more but I doubt I'll keep the vast majority of my builds. Just curious whether you casual builders wind up amassing a collection of really awesome custom builds. I like the idea of being able to keep the ones I like and sell the rest but I really already have more rods than I use. I'm gonna need to at least get what I have in them or my wife is gonna eventually pile up all my fishing stuff and craigslist it.

Post subject: Re: Casual builders
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:35 pm • # 2 

I seem to build them, fish for a couple months then sell them to buy something else.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:22 pm • # 3 

If you really enjoy building rods you could offer to build for friends and then start selling to others. I typically sell my extra rods on eBay, craigslist, or forums.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:29 am • # 4 

I am building a lot of glass rods now . I enjoy doing it and find it very relaxing . I have built them for my children . I have sold some for what I have into the parts . I am building rods for specific use for myself . I hope to fish all . Some a lot and often , some not very much .I am retired and despite my health not being the best I get out and fish a lot . My favert fishing is small mt. brook trout creek fishing and float tube pond fishing here in the north east . I spend a lot of time fishing the marches of the Chesapeake Bay year around . With 2 very different fishing areas I have use for a wide variety of rods and line wt. . I could get by with 2-3 rods but chose not too. I tie flys and build rods . That is what I do if I am not hunting or fishing . good fishing to all

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:33 am • # 5 

I keep mine. Some I have built specifically as gifts for family and friends.

(Built three Pac Bay spinning rods for my best friend's kids)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:44 pm • # 6 

I like to build my own rods and and won't sell any of my small colection of rods(at this moment :) )

Also I started to appreciate fiberglass rods so there are some in progress this fall/winter.
Already sold most of my (factory)carbon rods

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:38 pm • # 7 

I build for family and friends.

When my personal collection gets big I'll sell so I can fund the next several builds.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply