It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 36 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 7' (or close) 1wt blanks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:36 pm • # 21 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
As for Sage, you can rarely go wrong with them, depending on the type of action you like. My local shop only carries Orvis, TFO, and Echo rods. TFO is the only one of those three that sells blanks. I've yet to cast a TFO rod that I can say that I like.
Yeah, I've never built a Sage rod that I didn't like, although I wish I would have used regular snake guides on my 2 wt 7'9" LL. The blank felt a little slow so I splurged and got some UL single-foot guides. It worked... now it's almost *too* fast Image

A Loomis 5 wt was my first real rod, and I got a high-end Sage after that, so those are the rods I learned to cast on. I still struggle with even a medium action. I can cast it fine in the yard, but once I start getting into fish I tend to start my forward cast too soon. I was noticing that this afternoon with my new Orvis 1 wt. I have to concentrate on feeling the backcast and giving it an extra moment before I go forward. With most of my rods once you feel the backcast start to load then it's already time to start foward, and I can pretty much tuck my elbow into my side and use a very short casting stroke. I'm using a little more drift--forward and backward--to fully load this 1 wt. It's just a lot different feel. I like it though, and I love the way a fish can take the fly really hard and the rod just absorbs the whole thing. Very cool.

BTW, try the 8'6" TFO Pro 5 wt if you get a chance. Great feeling rod (to me). Just don't try a high-end Sage or Orvis right before the TFO ;-)

Take care,

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:48 pm • # 22 

jkurtz,
I noticed you like the Pacific blanks over the Matrix. When I saw the Matrix with the weave I wondered if that might affect the action, sounds like it may. I'm looking to start building again, I built several UL Spinning rods as a kid, and want to start with a small stream fly rod. Thinking about 7 to 7'9" 2 to 3 wt. I like a nice slow relaxed rod action, I've found it's easier to load when doing alot of roll casting on tight small streams. Any pointers?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:16 pm • # 23 

How small a stream? You might look into a cane blank made for a 2wt on a 6' length. The price will be different, but you mentioned relaxed action, and that is as relaxed as you can get. Also, check out that 6'10" Dan Craft 1wt, as it will be right up your alley with a DT1F line it should roll cast like a dream!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:18 pm • # 24 
Administrator

For small stream fishing like the stream in my Silver Creek post http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=189 , I like a rod 7' or less. I even use my 7' 3wt and 6'6" Pac Bay
for the creek that runs though my back yard, which is bigger than Silver Creek. I also use these rods at the reservoir just down stream from my house.
If you like slow and relaxed, then it's hard to beat the Lamiglas 7' 3wt. Yeah it's a fiberglass rod, but it's a sweet caster, roll casts well, and is surprisingly light weight for glass. Mine is the 3pc version and it packs down to a reasonable size.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:31 am • # 25 

Real small water, jump across no problem. I have a 6' 3wt but found it was too short for high sticking and dappling, thats why I'm thinking 7' and above. I have no problem with glass, takes me back to my first rod (which I still have). I've considered renovating an old 'boo from a 9' to a 6.5' bantam, but have heard that many just don't work very well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:45 am • # 26 

I just looked at the Lami 7' 3wt on Mudhole. I notice the 3 pc has a "spigot" ferrule while the 2 pc doesn't spec the ferrule type, what's the difference?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:24 am • # 27 
Administrator

Fly chef:
Perhaps you already know this, but spigots are connections for rods in which a smaller male one-piece section is glued inside one of the female ends. creating a new smaller diameter male end. Next, a larger female section mounts down upon on this male. Interestingly, some folks add a solid glass spigot as in retrofits.
In the case of the item you have considered, the spigot is stock - it comes as part of the kit. My Lami 6 piece has this configuration. Most of these kits are tip over butt or vice verse for the piece connections.
I hope this answered your question.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:08 pm • # 28 

Thanks Les, I had a general understanding. I've understood that the tip over butt is preferred by most, just curious why they would make a spigot standard on 1 but not the other.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 pm • # 29 
Administrator

Sky Chef,
I'd email them and ask why. They might have a great answer for all of us.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 pm • # 30 

The reason they are offered in spigot as opposed to tip over butt is that multi piece rods can all be rolled on the same mandrel. If they were tip over butt ferrules, they would need to be rolled on separete 3 and 6 piece mandrels - since they are spigot ferrules they are all rolled on the same one piece mandrel and cut and ferruled into as many sections as the manufatcurer desires.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:46 pm • # 31 

Thanks Moon, that makes perfect sense to me!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:01 am • # 32 

Thanks Moon. Now the question is, does the spigot create a "dead" spot in the blank? I've never had a fly rod with a spigot, only tip over butt.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 am • # 33 
Administrator

There are no dead spots in my 3pc Lami, it's very smooth.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:00 am • # 34 

Spigots do not create a dead spot, however too many tip over butt ferrules can in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:07 am • # 35 
Administrator

FlyChef,
No dead spots on my Lami and it's a six piece. I also have a traditional solid glass spigot on a few other with no undesired side effects.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:57 pm • # 36 

OK, I guess you guys answered that question.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 36 posts ] New Topic Add Reply