It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 7' (or close) 1wt blanks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:41 pm • # 1 

OK......I'm getting the itch to build rod #2. I was planning a 5 or 6wt build......looking seriously at a TFO Finesse 5wt blank........but I got to thinking.....I have a couple of 5 wts...and a couple of 6wts.......what do I need another one for? Then I found this forum and I saw the light. I've always liked fishing my 3wt and have wanted a Sage TXL 0 or 1wt for a long time - but the price scares me off.

My quesetion and problem is......I want to build something that I don't already have. I have two 6wts......two 5wts....one 4wt, one 3wt and a 2wt. So a 1wt just makes sense. But I tend to like slower rods.......sticks that flex deep to the cork and load easily for short to medium casts to small water. I also want something with a little length because I fish from my kayak almost exclusively and like the length to lift the line off the water. I'd like to stay away from a 6' or 6'6 blank.

I've found a Dan Craft Signature III 7' 1wt blank at Dan Craft, http://www.dancraftent.co...&strt=196&show=15 billed as a "moderate-fast" action blank.

Has anyone fished this blank.....or know of a similiar length 1wt blank....like the TFO Finesse 6'10 1wt?

Thanks,

David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:44 pm • # 2 

The Finesse is a very nice blank according to Uncle Larry. I would see it as being a solid investment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:44 pm • # 3 
Administrator

David,
How much is the TFO Finesse blank? Dancraft at $99 is not too bad a deal.Image
Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:51 pm • # 4 

$89.95 for the TFO Les.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:22 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Hmmm... $89.95 sold!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:26 pm • # 6 

Well, you sound like you need more toys! HAHA.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:19 am • # 7 
Administrator

David, Dan Craft has two 1wt's in the lineup. The 6'10" 1wt is a true 1wt. The 7' 1wt is not a true 1wt, and according to the CCS Data site, the 7' specs as a 3wt, and a fast action one at that. I know of a guy here in Ohio that built the 7' 1wt and he has to use a 3wt line to get the rod to load. The Dan Craft 6'10" blank runs $114.00 and is much slower than the 7' blank.

Uncle Larry has very good things to say about the TFO Finesse 6'9" 1wt, and if Uncle Larry likes it, I'm sure it's a great rod. As far as I know, it's the cheapest 1wt blank that is currently available. You can find the TFO 1wt blank at Anglers Workshop, Mudhole has yet to add it to their catalog.

Man, now I'm going to have to build one of these.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:39 am • # 8 

Thanks J. and for everyone' s input.

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for and exactly the reason I love to belong to sites like this.

David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:07 am • # 9 

The 6'10" Dan Craft, nicknamed "The One" is superb. If you live in the Dallas area, you are welcome to cast mine. It will cast a surprisingly heavy fly. I fish mine with the old Rio Pocket Water WF1F. I keep it in the car for emergency fishing detours. Don

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:15 am • # 10 

Don, every fishing detour is an emergency in my eyes...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:50 am • # 11 
Administrator

Don,
I feel and emergency coming on... (LOL)
As I am in sales and do have clients up your way- I'd like to meet up and throw some of your "light liners"Image

Les

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 am • # 12 

Les. Call me if you are in the neighborhood. 214 808-8729. Can often meet at Duck Creek at 8:30 am and again in late afternoon. The Twin Lakes on Campbell are 10 minutes from the office. Will certainly break away for an hour if the coast is clear. Robin keeps his emergency fly rod as well. With a little notice, can bring any rig along for a tryout. Don

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:05 am • # 13 

jkurtz7 wrote:
David, Dan Craft has two 1wt's in the lineup. The 6'10" 1wt is a true 1wt. The 7' 1wt is not a true 1wt, and according to the CCS Data site, the 7' specs as a 3wt, and a fast action one at that. I know of a guy here in Ohio that built the 7' 1wt and he has to use a 3wt line to get the rod to load. The Dan Craft 6'10" blank runs $114.00 and is much slower than the 7' blank.

Uncle Larry has very good things to say about the TFO Finesse 6'9" 1wt, and if Uncle Larry likes it, I'm sure it's a great rod. As far as I know, it's the cheapest 1wt blank that is currently available. You can find the TFO 1wt blank at Anglers Workshop, Mudhole has yet to add it to their catalog.

Man, now I'm going to have to build one of these.

J.

OK, who is Uncle Larry? and where do you get all the info on the action, line wt, and flex?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:56 am • # 14 

"Uncle Larry" is Larry Offner that runs the Warm Water Board, you can find him here:

http://www.warmfly.com/in...ion=com_smf&Itemid=26

The data referred to can be found here:

http://www.common-cents.info/

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:47 am • # 15 

Larry is also a member of this forum as well, and he is a heck of a nice guy and fishes the Louisiana waters for stumpknocker bluegills. Common Cents data is a data of controversy. I have been told that data is not for fly fishing and to buy a 5wt rod and line and LEARN to make it work ;) You can learn a lot from reading the articles on that site!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:00 pm • # 16 
Administrator

CCS works, and those who don't like it and claim it's bunk, tend be ignorant about rod tapers, actions, and a rods true line weight. That's a harsh statement, but I've found it to be true for the most part. I just call it like I see it.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:47 pm • # 17 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
CCS works, and those who don't like it and claim it's bunk, tend be ignorant about rod tapers, actions, and a rods true line weight.

Okay, is Andy just rattling your cage here? Image

I'm pretty ignorant regarding CCS--I just know which rod/line combo's feel good to me when I cast them and which ones don't.

Take care,

Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:07 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Jerry, Andy already knows my views on rods, tapers, etc. and he also agrees with me. We've had many phone conversations on the subject. I have to admit that I'm quite technical when it comes to rods, tapers and such. Since I build my own rods, and I prefer a slower action, I feel that I should know what I'm building or I'm gonna build.
Your right about what feels good. If a rod doesn't feel right it's not going to work for you. Since I build all my rods these days, I can't always try before I buy, so I rely on the CCS database to select blanks. Based on all my experience, and testing my own rods with the CCS, I can make good choices for me by comparing what I like to whats published on the CCS data base. It really is a great system for rod and blank comparison. I also don't have a lot of choices at the local fly shop, so I can't test cast the vast majority of stuff I'm interested in.
I didn't make my post very clear either. It is in reference to Andy's mention of the CCS being somewhat Controversial to some. Those folks that really don't like CCS have probably never tried it, and many that I've discussed it with were in fact totally clueless as to what rod action is, really. So please don't take offense to my statement. It wasn't directed at you or anyone else on this site.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:25 pm • # 19 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
Since I build all my rods these days, I can't always try before I buy, so I rely on the CCS database to select blanks. Based on all my experience, and testing my own rods with the CCS, I can make good choices for me by comparing what I like to whats published on the CCS data base.
I might have to look into it. I've been lucky so far with the dozen or so rods that I've built. Sometimes I rough fit the grip and slide it on and tape the guides on and cast it to try to get a feel for how they're going to feel. A couple of times I've gone back and put heavier or lighter guides on, but mostly I've just built Sage stuff and have been able to cast them at the local shop--and then have the shop order the blank for me. I've only had one real dog--6'9" Fisher 5 wt, that is so slow that it will easily cast a 3wt line (and still feel slow). The tip isn't very sensitive either. Oh well.

I've also built a couple Loomis rods that were faster than I wanted and I didn't care to overline them. I was able to easily sell both and make a few bucks, but sounds like this CCS data may have been able to save me some time :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:44 pm • # 20 
Administrator

Jerry, yes it really can save you a lot of time. I can say though that I was disappointed in the Matrix 2wt. I liked the numbers on it, but the rod just has no sensitivity to it for some reason. I'm not sure whether the woven carbon fiber that's wrapped over the butt section has anything to do with it or not.
As for Sage, you can rarely go wrong with them, depending on the type of action you like. My local shop only carries Orvis, TFO, and Echo rods. TFO is the only one of those three that sells blanks. I've yet to cast a TFO rod that I can say that I like. I will reserve judgment on the Finesse 2wt and 1wt, until I have a chance to cast them.

J.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 36 posts ] New Topic Add Reply