It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Pacific Bay blanks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:12 am • # 1 

I own a PacBay RF2 793 2 that I cut to make a 6',6".
It is my preferred UL rod: it's perfect with 2wt, light 2wt and works very well even with 1wt (ern 2,15 ; AA 68). The tip is really thin, even thinner that the declared, and this helps a lot with the 1wt, but with the 2wt it simply works a little slower, but anyway it's a pleasure cast with it.

Now I would like try the 662 2 and/or the 704 2 (that in real I read has an ern more in the 2/3 that in 4 range), but I see that rainforest 2 and tradition 2 have exactly the same:
- tip size
- butt size
- weight
- action.
Now, one is im7 and the other is im6, and everybody can prefer one or the other, the colors are different and the prices are a little different, really close, but except that what are the differences? The CCF, the ern or AA for example, are different?

Thanks in advance
Roberto

Post subject: Re: Pacific Bay blanks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:18 pm • # 2 

I don't use PacBay anything unless I don't have a choice. I do use their thread sometimes. I feel Batson makes a better product for the price range. The RX6 (IM6) I662-4 Rainshadow is a nice slow 2wt. and the RX7 (IM7) REVF662-4 2/3wt. is a nice med-fast rod.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:19 pm • # 3 

FishingHiker wrote:
I don't use PacBay anything unless I don't have a choice. I do use their thread sometimes. I feel Batson makes a better product for the price range. The RX6 (IM6) I662-4 Rainshadow is a nice slow 2wt. and the RX7 (IM7) REVF662-4 2/3wt. is a nice med-fast rod.

The only Batson I fished was the Rx8 662 4: a nice backpack rod that I sold because is a medium action in 2wt/3wt range not in 1wt/2wt range that is my preferred. In this range the better medium action is for me the American Tackle matrix 662 2 ( here a comparison viewtopic.php?f=68&t=7539&p=59187&hilit=batson#p59187 ). And the Pacbay 793 2, cut in 6'6", is faster and consent longer casts and a better control of the line (IMHO).

Btw we are O.T.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:20 pm • # 4 

I built a 2 weight from a PacBay Traditions 2 IM6 blank - great little rod, the ERN showed it being a 1+ weight - but I fished it with both a 2 weight double taper, and a 3 weight WF taper line and liked it. I wound up selling that rod off a while back because it hardly got fished much in the last year and a half - I picked up a fiberglass 4 weight that worked in all the situations I used the 2 weight for, but also gave the option of fishing larger flies. In the last year I've become a streamer junky, and done a lot of single hand spey casting - and the four weight was perfect for this. I really like IM6 over faster graphite stuff - unless you are trying to bomb out 40+ foot casts, the more moderate action of the IM6 rods, I find, are more fishable. I built a few rods off of Traditions II series of blanks now, and really dig them, even if they are made in China.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:28 pm • # 5 

thanks mmckenzie
I love the Pacbay blank that I own: it's my preferred UL blank, China or not.
I prefer it to all the other UL rods I ever had (Orvis and Sage included), even because the cost/benefits.

But the question was: pacbay im7 are really faster that the im6 models?
I wanted a faster UL and I tried the RX8 from Batson, who was claimed be a fast blank because the material, im8. But in fact it was medium, about same AA that the im6 American Takle.
The pacbay rf2 793 is faster that the amtack im6, but is faster even that the Batson RX8 im8. And I think because the design (very thin tip compared to the butt).
Then if a blank has the same design (tip to butt), weight and is declared have the same action, like the im6 and the im7 models from pacbay, the material in this case really influence the action?
If you look the Pacbay catalogue you can see that Tradition II (im6) and Rainforest II (im7) has the same models, the models are specular, even in the measures, weight and action.
(pacbay catalogue http://www.fishpacbay.com/catalog/2016_ ... atalog.pdf , page 78/90 and 80/90).
Somebody had the chance to compare the same Pacbay models in im6 and im7 and to measure ern and aa?

I make this question because I'm planning to buy the pacbay 662 and maybe the 704, but since I can't see them in real I must consider what the catalogue tell me.
And im6 and im7 on the catalogue seem absoutely identical, except the color, the material and the price.
Then im7 and im6 are only marketing or real differences? And the differences are so little that in fact doesn't influence the action?

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply