It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:56 pm • # 1 

Mountain Brook fiberglass, the "Native" 2/3wt 4pc. REC seat w/Bocote insert, Old Gold thread w/epoxy finish, Snake brand Universals. Turned the grip and was going for a slim profile for compact pack rod. Turned out to be 6' 5". Seemed like a 2wt at first but I'm thinking maybe it's even a 1wt unless you're really are into the slow stuff or fishing inside 10'.

Last edited by preast on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 pm • # 2 

I don't know where Mike gets his blanks, but I know I really like them. I recently bought his 6'6" 2/3 weight 2 piece "budget rod" on which he had used a brass slip ring and a brass end cap from plumbing supplies for the reel seat hardware. Makes for a unique looking rod. It handles from 2WF to 3DT equally well, and is one of the most accurate casting rods I have ever used. It has rapidly become one of my favorite rods. I really like the way you built yours.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:23 am • # 3 

Yes, I agree the feel of this blank is awesome. And it's 4pc glass, which seems to be rare. It's a truly medium taper, I'm just not sure I'm a traditional glass guy. I was hoping it would be my favorite new 2wt, since I already have a great 1wt in the Finesse. But I think it might be a bit soft for me so I'm still debating what I'll do with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:10 am • # 4 

I don't think I have mentioned this on this forum, but I provide a disposal service for glass rods. For those persons whose households have been contaminated by glass, I will show up in a HazMat suit and remove the rod from the premises before further contamination takes place. For this service I charge only a small fee, just enough to cover my expenses (i.e. - mileage expense, rental of HazMat suit, and a stop at the nearest IHop.) ;)

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:35 pm • # 5 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
I don't think I have mentioned this on this forum, but I provide a disposal service for glass rods. For those persons whose households have been contaminated by glass, I will show up in a HazMat suit and remove the rod from the premises before further contamination takes place. For this service I charge only a small fee, just enough to cover my expenses (i.e. - mileage expense, rental of HazMat suit, and a stop at the nearest IHop.) ;)

Larry

Larry, Randy didn't mention it here, but I bet if you bring cash money, and it is more than I have, you *might* be able to walk away with it next Friday. Be sure to call or text when you get to town, btw. We may need to "pre-fish" the meetup!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:56 pm • # 6 

Aaron, the problem with me carrying much cash around is that I am very easily tempted to spend it. ;) Will call after I get camp set up. I'm leaving Oklahoma on the 19th. Will spend the night with a good friend in Granbury and see if I can persuade him to join us. Should be in by early afternoon the 20th.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:49 am • # 7 

Again, nice work!

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply