It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Micro guides
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:11 am • # 1 

Does anybody use micro guides on there poles?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Micro guides
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 am • # 2 

No, just googled them at Mud Hole. Recently put new guides on a rod and used Snakebrand snake guides. I considered single footed but decided to retain the rods original look since it's kind of a classic (at least to me).
The micro guides look interesting through, light. I know there are people on this forum using single footed guides; don't know if micro guides are synonymous to single footed but the micro guides on Mud Hole are single footed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:40 pm • # 3 

Yeah, I buy a lot from them. Just thinking about putting them on my 5'2" 3wt that I am building. Have not seen any on a UL.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:04 pm • # 4 

Has anyone used ceramic guides on their flyrods ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:42 pm • # 5 

jangles wrote:
Has anyone used ceramic guides on their flyrods ?

It seems like I have four rods that really qualify as ultralight. Two have Fuji single-foot guides and the other two have similar guides. Let's see, there are some four more heavier rods that have more conventional snake guides (for now). Fuji has a new material for guides called Torzite that sounds interesting, but quite pricy at this point, something like an average of $10 apiece, and they look a little heavy. But there are some good reviews about them.

I also like the possibilities of using a spinning reel occasionally, which could partially explain why my preference for single-foots.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:15 pm • # 6 

Can you tell the difference when casting them ? How do you like them ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:17 pm • # 7 

jangles wrote:
Can you tell the difference when casting them ? How do you like them ?

If you're building a rod stictly for use with fly lines, there is honestly little difference that I have perceived in performance between single-foot and snake guides. But if you're building a combination rod, single-foot guides are the better route to take.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:37 pm • # 8 

………………..…………...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:12 am • # 9 

ScowMan wrote:
Does anybody use micro guides on there poles?
Thanks

UL Fly, yes. Spinning, no…not yet, anyway.

Main impetus for their use was and is alternative flylines. Wanted to close the guide train a bit and eliminate sag/slap for low diameter lines without adding full size guides and associated weight to the blank. Works great. I went down to 4mm Fuji (probably Alconites) on one rod, used 4mm Amtak RingLocks on another and won’t go back to full size unless line choice dictates such. These guides were bought a while back, styles and offerings change, but one has to dig the “keeper foot” contour on the American Tackle micros. Don’t even need a Forhan lock on ‘em, they stay secure with a standard wrap and a few in front just fine.

Here’s a comp of micro v/s regular single foots, it’s a noticeable difference.

Spacing of guides relative standard guide size/spacing. I originally had the 4mm project regular spaced and added a few on the redo and reposition to close it up as seen below. Again, noticeable difference in performance with non-industry spec lines.

No idea why any offerings in EuroNymph specific rods don’t go for the micros and closer spacing. Some of these concepts are actually intended to be used with 20lb Maxima all the time and often in windy conditions. Best WAG I can throw out there is this is governed by a traditional preference and arbitrary notion of how a flyrod should look…even if they’re fishin’ a friggin’ 35' French leader with the fat flyline dry and forgotten about on the reel all day. ???

That said, I will posit traditional snakes are indeed the most elegant and beautiful of any guides. Is kinda painful to lose the aesthetic while exploring single foots in any size, but the functional utility makes up for it. We can always balance that equation by justifying a new 6wt build using traditional snakes, anyway, so it’s all good.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply