It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 pm • # 1 

Hey guys,
I have a Nissin Sasuke tenkara rod, it's about 5 feet. Test the ERN index, and it weighs to be about a 3wt, making it the perfect rig for smaller stream I like to fish. I want to convert it into a fly/spinning set up, using a full wells grip with some slip rings on the grip to position the rod wherever I please.
Here are some questions.
- I plan on putting a rod guide at the end of each section- this is a 5 piece rod, so there would be a tip top guide, stripping guide, and 3 running guides. Can I get away with that many guides? Seems like it could use one or two more, but if I were to put any more guides on, it wouldn't telescope properly.

-The distance between the first stripping guide and the reel would be quite short if I were to place my stripping guide in the first section of the rod. There's about 7-9 inches between the guide and the reel if I were to do that. Should I do away with the stripping guide on the first section and place it on the section section? That would give it 17-20 inches of space between the reel and the stripping guide, but it would make it so that I would only have a 4 total guides as opposed to 5 which seems really sparse.

To convey my ideas a bit better, here are some crudely drawn pictures of my plans. Let me know what you think guys!
https://imgur.com/a/ViyNg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:32 pm • # 2 

It's only 5 feet long?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:27 pm • # 3 

fastyacht wrote:
It's only 5 feet long?

Yeah, haha. Wanted to make a portable banty rod of sorts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 pm • # 4 

Kaiser wrote:
fastyacht wrote:
It's only 5 feet long?

Yeah, haha. Wanted to make a portable banty rod of sorts.

Ok. I sometimes use a 5.5 foot ultralight spinning rod with WF4 line ( think it would be better with 3 or even 2 wgt but haven't tried it). It only has 5 or so guides. I'll go check-->4 guides plus tip. The stripping guide is about 14" from the spinning reel seat. That makes it like a 5 footer.

It actually works surprisingly well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 am • # 5 

Tape the guides in place as you wish and test cast it. You'll soon see if the 4 guides are adequate .I personally would do away with the stripper that is so close to the grip, it puts the line at to sharp of an angle leaving your hand.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 pm • # 6 

I have done that with 2 telescopic tenkara/keiryu/seiryu (?) rods so far, with another one in the works. One is 5'9" for a 35-grain (000-weight?) line and another 7 1/2 footer for a 3-weight. In either case, the guide placement is a bit funky and less than ideal. That said, the trick is to use single-foot guides at the end of each section so that they all fit inside the section just below it. Sorry, but there are no photos immediately available.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:25 am • # 7 

Setting aside the distances between the guides causing a floppy line that will drag if you try to shoot it and generally screw up any attempt at finesse presentations, I'd be most concerned about sourcing a tip top (or making one) small enough to attach to a micro-thin rod tip (by fly rod standards), and then with the tip top breaking the rod tip in use. I doubt you'll be able to effectively cast farther with this set up than with a furled line attached to a lillian as designed. The taper of a tenkara-type rod just isn't suited for western-style casting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:38 pm • # 8 

…………...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:47 pm • # 9 

Did you do it ? If so we need pictures . I ordered two cheapies to try and do the same thing .

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply