It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Marutake
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:44 pm • # 1 

Anyone ever played with the Japanese style of bamboo rods built from a round culm? I stumbled across a few examples online years ago and have thought about it several times since then. I’d like to give it a try one of these days, but it’s a lot of time to wrap up in a crapshoot. I do have experience straightening bamboo for arrows, so I think I could get a decently straight rod. I think my biggest trepidation is trying to fit multiple pieces together. If I did give it a try I’d probably stick with a 1 piece rod.

Post subject: Re: Marutake
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 am • # 2 

No, I've never messed around with Maratuke rods, but the idea seemsa to make a lot of sense. If you have a bamboo grove near you where you can harvest the cane, why not give it a try? You've probably got more to gain than to lose. It would be primnarily a matter of drying and straightening the culms, and then finding out what weight line to use. For that, we have the Common Cents System. And if you're looking to build a two-piece rod, you could measure the culm in 64ths at the point where you intend to cut it and get a nickel silver ferrule that size. Unlike a hexagonal split-bamboo blank which has to be turned down in a lathe in order to fit the ferrule, in this case it's already round!

Here's a little trick that I came across for drying and working with taquara bamboo. Drilling a small (i/16") hole on each side of each nodal dam goes a long way to avoid splitting during the drying process.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:53 am • # 3 

I stumbled across some river cane today, so I harvested several culms to give it a shot. Now the wait begins...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 pm • # 4 

If you can harvest bamboo culms, at least the price is right: free! But please, do tell, where are you located that you can find bamboo growing alongside your local river?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 am • # 5 

River cane is one of 4 bamboo species native to the US. It is typically found near water, giving it its common name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arundinaria_gigantea

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply