It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Components ???
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:46 pm • # 1 

I'm thinking of building a glass twig and am wondering if the epoxy and guides etc are the same as for graphite / boron . TIA

Post subject: Re: Components ???
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 pm • # 2 

Same stuff, although if it is a real liteweight rod, I do go with the lite wire guides if using snake guides for the build

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 am • # 3 

Do it.

Glass is addicting!

Looking forward to seeing that, as well as your next bamboo build.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 am • # 4 

Do it.

Glass is addicting!

Looking forward to seeing that, as well as your next bamboo build.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:47 am • # 5 

Thanks guys . I'm just looking for the blank now . 2wt , 7 ft or longer .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:42 pm • # 6 

There aren't very many glass 2 weight blanks available in 7 ft. or longer. I think Steffen Brothers offers one in 2/3 weight, but their rod and blank list is down at this time for reconstruction. A 7'6" blank is available from CTS in New Zealand, but you have to order a custom blank. Both the Steffen and CTS blanks are going to cost over $200 for the blank alone. I did see a 7 ft. 2 weight blank on E-bay from the Olde English Fly Shoppe that was under $100. Most glass 2 weights are 6'6" or shorter. Also Kettle Creek Tackle Shop offers glass blanks in 2/3 weight in lengths of 7 ft. or 7'3" for around $130. Of course the Steffen and CTS blanks are top of the line, as reflected by the price. I am not familiar with the Olde English Fly Shoppe blanks, but I think I remember reading they are a slow action blank. I have cast some of the Riffle blanks from Kettle Creek and they are pretty nice with a moderate to moderate fast action for glass. A good friend of mine who is a long time rod builder told me he thought the Kettle Creek blanks were excellent, best bang for the buck.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:51 pm • # 7 

I want to stay under a 100 for the blank . Old E has the 7'2wt at 85 but it's white which I don't care much for .

I just ordered a 9' 2wt but its carbon so I'm still looking . Thanks for the replies .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:59 pm • # 8 

jangles wrote:
I want to stay under a 100 for the blank . Old E has the 7'2wt at 85 but it's white which I don't care much for .

I just ordered a 9' 2wt but its carbon so I'm still looking . Thanks for the replies .

Jangles - you can get glass blanks under 3 weight from Anglers Roost and Proof Fly Fishing and they're all under $100. All but I think one of Proof's are spigot ferrules which are fine by me. I think the one at Proof that's tip over butt is a 2 weight if I remember correctly. Just remember to wrap both the male and female sections of spigot ferrules if you go with one of those.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:23 am • # 9 

Matts blanks are all spigots except for that 2wt but it's only 6' or 6'6" , cant remember . I want at least a 7' and I hate the look of spigots .
Anglers roost's are short also until you get to the 7'6" 4 wt which has a fairly fast action which I don't care for either.

Thank for the reply .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:39 pm • # 10 

There are a couple of generations of anglers who’d have to be held at gunpoint to use anything but spigot ferruled rods. Times change, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:53 pm • # 11 

Cross Creek wrote:
There are a couple of generations of anglers who’d have to be held at gunpoint to use anything but spigot ferruled rods. Times change, lol.

A guy I was fishing with a few weeks ago had a carbon rod with spigots . Black Diamond maybe ? It was fugly too .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:51 pm • # 12 

If you’ve got from 35 to 50 bucks and don’t mind a little gambling, there are some possibilities.

Anglers’ Roost offers four-piece 2/3 weight fiberglass blanks that are 10, 11, or 12 feet long. It would involve buying one of those blanks, then doing some Common Cents tests to find out how long the blank would be to make it load with 24 pennies for an ERN of 2.53. For example, I imagine that with the 10’ blank you might use the upper three sections for a 7 ½ foot 2-weight, or thee sections of the 12’ blank for a 9’ 2-weight. Or you might end up also using the upper foot or 18’ as well.

It would be a matter of calculating and experimenting. It might work well, or it might not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:38 pm • # 13 

PampasPete wrote:
If you’ve got from 35 to 50 bucks and don’t mind a little gambling, there are some possibilities.

Anglers’ Roost offers four-piece 2/3 weight fiberglass blanks that are 10, 11, or 12 feet long. It would involve buying one of those blanks, then doing some Common Cents tests to find out how long the blank would be to make it load with 24 pennies for an ERN of 2.53. For example, I imagine that with the 10’ blank you might use the upper three sections for a 7 ½ foot 2-weight, or thee sections of the 12’ blank for a 9’ 2-weight. Or you might end up also using the upper foot or 18’ as well.

It would be a matter of calculating and experimenting. It might work well, or it might not.

I like your thinking . I bought an telescopic 5 pce Crappie pole I'm goin to try and make a fly rod out of . Should be fun and if it doesn't work I'm out a whopping 7.99 !

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply