It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Thread color
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:45 pm • # 1 

How do you guys choose ? I have been stumped for some time on what color thread to use on my Owt build . I have wrapped and rewrapped til I'm dizzy . It seems all my choices lean towards brown trout colors but I have two 1wts wrapped that way and it's time for a change . Oddly enough , for me , this has proved to be one of the most difficult parts of rod building . So , how do you choose ? TIA

Post subject: Re: Thread color
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 pm • # 2 

It's a hard one for me too. I'm in a thread testing hell myself right now.

I do test wraps on the butt section and actually apply epoxy. Before it stiffens I check it out in different light and take some pics. Then off it comes. Sometimes that's enough and sometimes I need a run-off between 2 colors. Still tough though. I have a couple colors that I seem to gravitate back to no matter how many new and improved colors I get.I kept buying different shades thinking I'd find one that was just right. Then they change depending on the rod blank and what finish you use.

Post subject: Re: Thread color
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:49 am • # 3 

Glad to know I'm not the only one . I finally settled on a brn,gold,cranberry tiger thread with no trim . With the CP it's already darker than I'd like . Will apply epoxy tomorrow . Then I'm back at another build and more thread choices ! Why did I take this hobby up ??

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply